Lynxnet, a wholly owned subsidiary of Akima LLC, with dedicated Information Management, Systems Engineering teams, and Unified Communications teams, specializes in designing standardized, repeatable, and defined processes and procedures to help our customers realize long-term mission success. The primary function of the Sr. IT Systems Specialist is to provide critical system administration and network support to the United States Coast Guard’s Rescue 21 system.
The Alaska Rescue21 system is primarily comprised of a Motorola MCC 7500 Remote Radio Control System (RRCS) consoles and General Dynamics provided Digital Selective Calling System consoles based on an ICS V4 Marine Communications System. The Sr. IT Systems Specialist will provide proactive monitoring of these integrated system(s) for fault detection and isolation, as well as a dedicated 24/7 repair response capability in support of the United States Coast Guard’s operational missions. Proactive monitoring of the system(s) for early detection, isolation of problems and the resultant hardware and/or software maintenance actions that ensue. Installs and maintains operating systems and system software; systems configuration; establishment of system standards; software and/or hardware evaluation; maintenance of user accounts and profiles; and operating system troubleshooting. Responsibilities:
- Shared on-call response for network issues and general system administration.
- Provide support for Information Assurance (IA) implementation and management.
- Establishment and disestablishment of user accounts.
- Execution of software security patch and software update management (MS and 3rd party software).
- Operating System and Software patch installation and management.
- Remotely manage devices located throughout Alaska across multiple discreet networks to meet critical system availability requirements.
- Review of network and system events for logging (to assist with troubleshooting).
- System Log review and audit log management.
- Maintains systems security certification.
- Database administration.
- Backup process management to include restoration and audits.
- Active Directory policy management (Group policy and maintenance of security groups).
- Documenting change management.
- Sr. IT Systems Specialist will interface with other role based maintenance personnel. (transport/security admin) on the system for preventive and corrective maintenance.
- Gain and maintain subject matter expert knowledge of the Motorola ASTRO 25 platform release (7.13 and up) and applicable manuals.
- Providing input regarding IT system administration preventive and corrective activities for inclusion in the contractors monthly maintenance report.
- Provision and configure repair parts prior to repair actions.
- Interaction with other system administrators on a regular basis in support of Rescue 21/NDS.
- Partner with Coast Guard personnel and other maintenance contractors (Telecom providers, remote fixed facility maintenance personnel & security specialist) in support of preventive and corrective maintenance actions.
- Support Coast Guard communications watch standers at various statewide locations with all facets of system operation.
Minimum Qualifications: Certification:
- Must be able to obtain and maintain industry standard certifications to satisfy the requirements for an IATII certification position or above (e.g. Security +).
Additional Certification Requirements (1 or more):
High School Diploma required. General and Specialized Experience may be substituted for Education. Bachelor Degree in the field of Engineering, Computer Science, or a related discipline from an accredited University preferred. General Experience: Five (5) years of experience working with C4IT Systems. Specialized Experience: Four (4) years of experience administering networks and network equipment. Certifications and/or working knowledge on one or more of the following Operating Systems and/or applications:
- Microsoft Windows 7.
- Microsoft Windows 10.
- Windows Server 2008 R2.
- Microsoft Server 2012.
- VM Ware ESXi Server (Virtualization platforms).
- Motorola ASTRO25.
- Supervisory Control and Data Acquisitions (SCADA).
- Ability to work independently, self-motivated, proactive.
- USCG System Administration experience.
- Familiar with Security Technical Implementation Guides (STIGs) for Operating systems and applications.
- Proficiency with radio communications operation, equipment and techniques.
- Experience with Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) system.
- Ability to work independently, self-motivated, be proactive.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite of applications.
- Track record of delivering well-organized and accurate work.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Travel up to 40% throughout the State of Alaska. Travel locations include common carrier facilities and other Coast Guard unit locations. Frequent local travel throughout South Central Alaska (Anchorage, Kodiak, Valdez, Juneau) will be required. It is desired that candidate reside in Anchorage, Kodiak, Valdez, Juneau or another larger South Central AK city.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and personal vehicle.
- Ability to frequently lift, carry or otherwise move and position computer/network equipment up to 50 lbs.
- Office and Lab work environment.
- Active Secret clearance is required.
- Be able to obtain a Coast Guard Common Access Card.