SpaceX is looking for an experienced engineer with deep knowledge and broad experience across storage technologies. This employee will be a member of the Information Technology Infrastructure team and will design, implement and support storage infrastructure that is repeatable, reliable, and scalable and supports all SpaceX personnel and systems. The ideal candidate will be flexible and flourish in a fast-paced and challenging environment.
- Design, implement and maintain all aspects of storage, including the various tiers of storage (high-performance, low-cost, archive, backup/recovery, and disaster recovery).
- Multi-protocol [CIFS, NFS] file-based solutions such as NetApp and Pure.
- Block-based high-performance All-Flash Arrays such as NetApp and Pure.
- Object-based storage such as Scality and EMC ECS.
- Disk-based backup solutions such as Cohesity.
- Create strategies, roadmaps, and standards for all technologies in scope.
- Implement and utilize asset inventory, configuration management database, capacity management, performance management, resource optimization, and security (access control, authorization, and accounting) for all technologies in scope.
- Define requirements, perform research, evaluate vendors/solutions, design/implement solutions, and provide ongoing support for all technologies in scope. Provide simple but effective scalability, performance, and reliability.
- Drive consistent standardized solutions across SpaceX for all hardware, software, configurations, and processes.
- Implement tools and processes for efficient and effective operational management of the environment -- change management, monitoring, alerting, incident handling, customer request handling, etc.
- Schedule and provide after-hours or weekend support when necessary to perform high-risk or planned downtime of SpaceX datacenter systems for upgrades and maintenance.
- Participate in defining and executing on a roadmap of projects that continues to raise the bar through implementing innovative technology, tools, automation, and processes.
- Interact with internal customers to provide solutions and resolve problems in a timely and proactive manner.
- Administer and provide operational support and incident management for all storage infrastructure including archival and compliance systems.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, information technology, computer information systems, or similar technical discipline with 5+ years of IT storage engineering experience OR 8+ years of experience in IT storage engineering without a degree.
- Experience with storage protocols and technologies such as NFS, CIFS, iSCSI, Fibre Channel, NetApp Filers, Pure Flasharray and Flashblade, Nimble, EMC ECS, Cohesity, or DAS.
- Experience automating tasks utilizing PowerShell or Python.
- Experience with client and server hardware/software, management tools, enterprise networking, virtualization, and/or security technologies.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Demonstrated experience designing, documenting, and implementing complex multi-tiered cost-effective storage deployments.
- Experience collaborating with Windows, Linux, and network engineers and developers.
- Experience leading teams, either in a formal capacity or informally in technical projects.
- Experience gathering system usage and performance data for reporting and trending.
- Storage capacity planning, vendor management and procurement.
- A strong desire to automate everything!
- Ability to clearly communicate and convey highly technical ideas to non-technical teams.
- A motivated self-starting personality, able to work independently while maintaining patience with constant interruptions and multiple requests.
- Comfortable working with mission critical and sensitive systems, with a sense of urgency appropriate to the responsibilities.