This is the fourth in a five-level career path. Individuals in this position are responsible for applying appropriate knowledge, skills, tools, and techniques to project activities to meet large, complex, cross-functional project requirements involving business applications, either automated or non-automated. Project activities include but are not limited to: establishing clear and achievable objectives, planning and directing people to reach the objectives, balancing competing demands for quality, scope, time, and cost, and adapting to different concerns and expectations of stakeholders. They should be able to manage a project without extensive knowledge of the subject matter. This position is responsible for mentoring others and contributing to continual improvement of project management knowledge and skill at the company.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Delivers results for medium and large cross-functional project initiatives within established timeframes and quality measures.
- Utilizes advanced level project management skills and extensive knowledge of the System Development Lifecycle (SDLC) methodologies to manage assigned projects.
- Consults with business leaders to translate a project idea into a defined project with goals, objectives and scope.
- Identifies resources needed, negotiates with people managers as required to lead a project team, ensuring clarity of project roles and responsibilities, so that all project plans are completed within defined timeframes, meeting objectives and strategic goals.
- Develops and implements communication and reporting mechanisms to manage issues, risks, and timely delivery of initiative results. Translates project goals and objectives into a defined future state and project success measures that can be understood by project stakeholders, project team, and others.
- Ensures business needs and objectives are effectively captured in functional and non-functional business requirements for a system, process, or workflow.
- Oversees business requirements to meet expected business solutions and traces delivery of requirements through testing to final implementation. Generally, understands business requirement management and quality management in order to provide expected business solutions. Manages project quality through activities such as conducting appropriate reviews, obtaining approvals, and taking corrective action when necessary, with mentoring by a more experienced program manager, if applicable.
- Ensures that project documentation is complete, current and archived appropriately.
- Articulates project management best practices with peer group and others within Unum, as applicable.
- Contributes to adjustments to the corporate system development methodology.
- Proactively identifies barriers and resolves issues, determining contingency plans (executing as needed), while mitigating risk. Escalates issues to appropriate audiences for awareness and/or additional support.
- Proactively establishes and maintains cooperative, productive cross-functional partnerships on current projects and deliverables and prepares for future project opportunities.
- Promotes the benefits of change and acts as a catalyst for change across the corporation and adapts to changes imposed by others.
- Organizes and directs the activities of cross-functional project teams. Prioritize tasks to meet deliverables and commitments on time. Ensures that project members’ time and experience is well utilized. Recommends alternatives/options to minimize any schedule delay.
- Shares project experience/knowledge and mentors others across the corporation to help build project management skills.
- Bachelors degree, or equivalent relevant work experience
- Has 6+ years of experience with a focus in finance, project management, systems, or IT is preferred
- PMP designation is preferred
- Extensive knowledge/understanding of SDLC methodologies
- Extensive knowledge of logical data model/management
- Extensive knowledge of Unum’s products and businesses is preferred
- Effectively uses technical project management tools
- Exceptional ability to work effectively in a dynamic, rapidly changing business and technical environment
- Exceptional initiative and ability to set stretch goals
- Exceptional ability to negotiate effectively with business and IT partners on business requirements and timeframes on large initiatives
- Exceptional ability to rally support among peers and work effectively in challenging situations
- Exceptional analytical and problem solving skills and the ability to balance the need to gather detail with the need to solve the problem
- Exceptional general management skills including:
- Conflict resolution and negotiation skills
- Facilitation and elicitation skills
- Exceptional consultative advisory skills
- Exceptional ability to effectively articulate difficult ideas and concepts through clear and concise verbal or written communication
- Exceptional ability to identify and apply different communication mediums based on content and audience at all levels (both internal and external to Unum) to achieve intended goal
- Has advanced PC skills (Excel, Power Point, Word, etc.).