Reporting to the Chief Investment Officer (CIO), the Senior Investment Officer will be an externally-focused investments professional who drives growth and diversification of the Company's real estate portfolio by building relationships and identifying transactions in the medical office sector. Working closely with the CIO, the successful candidate will develop and implement a sound business plan for sourcing acquisition/investment opportunities for the Company, including specific strategies designed to achieve short- and long-term growth and profit objectives.
- Work with the executive management, CIO and other Investments team members to identify and prioritize prospective customer relationships and develop a calling and outreach plan for each.
- Identify, assess and develop a robust pipeline of investment opportunities for the company by networking and building relationships with senior executive decision makers at target companies, brokers, and developers.
- Work with asset management and Lillibridge, Ventas's wholly owned office subsidiary, to understand existing hospital and health system relationships and further strengthen Company's relationships with providers.
- Build and maintain key customer relationships including the development of programmatic pipelines arrangements and sourcing of off-market investment opportunities.
- Learn all aspects of the Company's acquisition process, including 1) investment and underwriting parameters, 2) deal structuring and documentation, and 3) interfacing with other departments, including accounting, REIT compliance, tax and legal.
- Implement tactical plan that emphasizes aggressive and timely identification and pursuit of potential development opportunities with leading development companies.
- Conduct initial assessment of investment opportunities and determine preferred deal structure including direct equity investments, joint ventures, mezzanine debt, sale-leaseback, and preferred equity.
- Act as a highly visible ambassador for the Company, speaking at conferences and events
- Support underwriting team and internal/external counsel to ensure effective risk management and timely executions of transactions.
- Mentor and develop internal investments team to support and drive strategies and results.
- Work with executive management team on merger transactions and other special projects, as appropriate.
- Undergraduate degree with a major in business, finance, accounting or real estate preferred; post-graduate degree is a strong plus.
- 10 + years in real estate and/or healthcare finance, investment banking, development or acquisitions.
- Proven success as an originator with the ability to multi-task.
- Demonstrated ability to work and thrive in a results-oriented and collaborative culture.
- Solid analytical ability and proven business acumen.
- Experience and contacts with health systems and medical office building owners.
- Outstanding personal qualities including self-confidence, integrity and initiative, along with a willingness to set the bar high and assume personal responsibility for success.
- Proven ability to build trust and effectively and persuasively communicate with top executives, internally and externally.
- Team player; strong presence and style which fits well within a collaborative culture.
- Ability to travel frequently.