The position summary states the general nature and purpose of the job. Overall accountabilities are defined in this section.
The Senior Internal Auditor assists in planning and conducting reviews of assigned organizational and functional activities to evaluate the design and operating effectiveness of those activities, and of management controls over the financial reporting for these activities. Provides support in the execution of a coordinated enterprise risk assessment and audit planning process. The Senior Internal Auditor also champions internal control and corporate goveranance concepts throughout the business. Deliverables include the creation of audit plans, participating in financial, operational and compliance audits, reports on audit findings, recommendations for addressing control issues, compliance with GAAP and company policies, improving operations and reducing costs.
Smithfield is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.
- Assists in the development of the risk assessment and audit planning process to effectively understand the changes and enterprise risks associated with the Company’s strategic, operational, financial, and compliance objectives.
- Plans and executes audit projects in accordance with department standards, ensuring identifying potential risk areas for the area under review.
- Assists in determining that corrective actions on reported audit findings are timely and achieves the desired results.
- Fosters a quality-oriented environment stressing continuous improvement.
- Ensures effective and efficient cooperation with management and the external auditors.
- Ensures adequate audit techniques are used to measure effectiveness of the Company’s operations.
- Ensures audit workpapers support the work done, results obtained, and conclusions reached.
- Ensures audit reports are accurate, objective, clear, concise and constructive to provide management with value added internal control and operations improvement opportunities.
- Maintainseffective communications with Management and other members of the global Smithfield audit team.
- Provides and maintains a collaborative relationship with the external auditors ensuring adequate audit coverage, avoiding duplication of work and making use of each other’s work to the maximum extent possible.
- Participates in the development and implementation of quality initiatives as required from time to time.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university and 5+ years related experience and/or training; required.
- Certified Public Accountant, Certified Internal Auditor and/or an MBA, preferred.
- Public accounting or internal audit experience with emphasis in manufacturing and/or the food industry, preferred.
- Financial auditing, operational auditing, management consulting, information systems auditing, knowledge of internal control processed, and interpersonal skills are necessary.
- Experience auditing in SAP or other large ERP system is desired.
- Understanding of GAAP, IFRS and internal auditing standards.
- Computer skills, including Excel, Word, MS Office and SAP.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, to effectively present to peers and management.
- Strong analytical and problem solving capabilities.
- Experience in performing multiple projects.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Promote an ethical culture utilizing these 4 core values; integrity, objectivity, confidentiality and competency.
- Must be able to travel 15% to 20% of the time.