The Senior Inside Sales and Business Development Manager is accountable for results in a dynamic and fast-paced environment by researching, qualifying and generating leads to meet business development goals for assigned business segments. Business segments include Laboratory Services, Drug Product Manufacturing, and Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs). This is a hybrid role with both inside and external sales responsibilities, ideal for someone with a scientific background including laboratory or pharmaceutical manufacturing experience and related inside sales experience who is interested in a career path with upward mobility in external sales and business development. The Senior Inside Sales and Business Development Manager is a “hunter” – a highly inquisitive and motivated, self-starter with a tenacious drive and ability research and generate new business prospects. The Senior Inside Sales and Business Development Manager uses his or her technical knowledge and experience to drive leads and grow accounts for Laboratory Services, Drug Product Manufacturing, and Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs) business segments. This position may be field based or based in one of our sites or sales offices. The position requires superior leadership behaviors of the Alcami core competencies and non-negotiables, as well as expertise in the functional competencies included in this position profile.
- Researches, identifies and develops new business prospects, including key accounts, from multiple sources including outbound leads from cold calling and email campaigns and inbound leads from the company web-site, active membership and participation in industry member groups and events.
- Owns lead generation for Laboratory Services and other services through the full sales process from prospect identification to close of business. Includes lead generation, follow-up on proposal terms and conditions and negotiations.
- Knowledgeable and capable to generate leads and grow new business for Drug Product Manufacturing, and Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs) business segments as well.
- Owns the customer relationship for assigned services; maintains and drives continuous improvement and communicates customer needs internally. Collaborates internally and externally to facilitate the development of profitable business and sustainable relationships.
- Maintains accurate customer data and updates to the Customer Relationship Management system (Sales Force). Generates timely reports (i.e. activity reports, metrics, sales targets or forecasts) as requested.
- Serves as a subject-matter-expert for Inside Sales team members, and provides coaching, mentoring, onboarding support and training to less experienced team members as needed.
- Ensures timely completion and compliance with cGMP and all other relevant company training requirements.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (Chemistry, Microbiology, Life Sciences Chemical Engineering) required.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in CDMO sales and business development, project management, contract management, or pharmaceutical or CDMO laboratory experience required.
- Prior pharmaceutical or CDMO laboratory services work experience preferred.
- Prior insides sales or business development experience strongly preferred.
- Consistently demonstrates honesty and integrity through personal example.
- Follows all safety policies and leads by example a safety first culture.
- Produces high quality work product with a focus on first time right.
- Complies with the company code of conduct and policies and regulatory standards.
Alcami Core Leadership Competencies
- Passion for customers. Listens to understand. Asks the right questions. Gets to the heart of the matter. Uses insight to provide value. Delivers on commitments.
- Thinks strategically. Quickly identifies opportunities. Combines forethought with action. Speaks up and recognizes improvement opportunities. Seeks to understand the “why”. Focuses on work that matters.
- Acts decisively. Makes and acts on decisions quickly. Fosters the same in others and the courage to enhance risk-taking for the business. Seeks ways to be more efficient. Achieves results the right way.
- Drives performance. Holds self and others accountable. Creates an environment enabling others to perform at their best. Deliver results right the first time. Willing to have tough conversations.
- Works collaboratively. Seeks out the experience of others with the aim for better results. Open to ideas regardless of their origination. Takes the time to find common purpose. Flexible and easy to work with.
- Develops organization and people. Demonstrates genuine commitment to develop self and others. Seeks experience and new opportunities outside your comfort zone. Coaches and mentors others.
- Knowledge of cGMP and drug development process through course work or prior work experience required.
- Prior pharmaceutical or CDMO experience in technical functions of development or manufacturing preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
- Excellent project management, organization skills and ability to multi-task required.
- Excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills required.
- Results orientation, determined and a self-starter; comfortable, willing and able to make cold calls.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) required.
- Proficiency utilizing internet and social media tools for researching potential leads.
- Technology orientation with the ability to gain proficiency using a Customer Relationship Management system (CRM) required.
- Prior experience with a Customer Relationship Management system (CRM) a plus, preferably Salesforce.
- Prior experience or exposure to value-based selling and negotiations a plus.