The Senior Infrastructure Engineer participates in the development of an Enterprise approach to system specification, engineering, operational, administrative, capacity management, maintenance and support services for the H&R Block information technology infrastructure.
The Senior Infrastructure Engineer primary scope of control is the following:
- Server systems
The Senior Infrastructure Engineer secondary scope of control typically includes one or more of the following:
- Networks and data communication,
- Storage and data management solutions,
- Information Security
This position provides technical research and recommendations as needed to supplement the Lead and Principal Engineer, provides support in the areas of technical support escalation, operational logistics, incident and problem resolution services resulting in deployments with optimal Mean Time to Restore (MTTR) and Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) characteristics.
- Participate in as appropriate the engineering and deployment planning of infrastructure systems for IT and business customers. Contribute to the proactive identification of automation opportunities in workflow, electronic information availability, and new systems management tools.
- Proactively engage as the Tier 2 escalation point to satisfy requests for new applications or functionality or resolve system, software or hardware deficiencies in existing systems. These actions may include performing technical research, presenting a corrective plan of attack, interface with vendors for additional analysis, or executing a system recovery in the case of failure.
- Provide timely and consistent communication on overall systems status and operational issues as required by support and customer groups.
- Assure quality workmanship is performed by utilizing industry best practices and following H&R Block corporate standards and guidelines.
- Participate in efforts the implementation of proactive fault detection and capacity monitoring systems. Assist in configuration reviews to assure these systems quickly and accurately detect and mitigate incidents/problems through proper testing and maintenance. (i.e., CPU, Disk, Memory utilizing H&R Block corporate systems and standards.)
- As situations warrant, may be a participant in matrix teams for project activities.
- Assure optimum systems performance by implementing and following sound system tuning practices, swift fault isolation and rigorous problem resolution management.
- Provide input to the planning, development and execution of backup and recovery services. Execute the duties that provide these services as required.
- Provide efficient and effective project assistance to the internal and external H&R Block user community as assigned. Provide input that assists in identifying hardware and software requirements, alternatives, implementation of solutions, and expanded use of network systems.
- Apply approved procedures and industry best practices on performance, confidentiality, integrity, and availability of applicable systems or solutions to deployed systems.
- Participate in the maintenance of security, contingency and system documentation of systems including diagrams, schema logical and physical layouts.
- Provide effective resolutions to hardware and operating system software problems utilizing industry best practices and H&R Block corporate standards.
- Installation, maintenance and administration of Windows Server 2008, 2012, 2016.
- Installation, maintenance and administration of VMware ESXi environment, including creation and maintenance of VM templates.
- Installation, maintenance and administration of HP and Cisco server platforms. Experience with UCS Manager preferred.
- System patching for Windows and VMware systems using SCCM and VMware Update Manager.
- Maintenance and troubleshooting of server backups and Veritas Netbackup infrastructure.
- Management and maintenance of SCCM and SCOM environments.
- Management and maintenance of a Symantec Endpoint Protection environment.
- Active Directory administration, including user access and group policy.
- Perform capacity analysis and planning.
- Timely response to server and/or service impacting alarms and trouble reports.
- Strong troubleshooting skills and root cause analysis.
- Ability to work with team members across multiple time zones and geographies.
- Familiarity with IaaS, Paas, SaaS in a public cloud (Azure preferred).
- Self-management skills including organization, time management and prioritization
- Desire to learn and a passion for technology
- Practical experience with process documentation tools and methods
- Knowledge of quality assurance techniques and protocols
- Prior experience with technology implementation and management methodologies
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or equivalent through a combination of education and work experience.
- Functional understanding of various infrastructure components of an IT infrastructure including but not limited to server systems, storage technology, network technology, information security.
- Analytical ability including network and network systems design, capacity monitoring, and error detection and resolution techniques.
- Ability to prioritize rapidly shifting priorities and workloads.
- Ability to work an on-call rotation (shared across team)
- Customer interface skills including problem solving, conflict resolution and team building.
- Excellent oral, written, interpersonal communication and customer service skills.