Position at Matson Navigation Company, Inc.
Matson, Inc. is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol MATX. Founded in 1882, Matson is one of the leading U.S. ocean shipping and logistics companies in the Pacific and provides a vital lifeline to the remote economies of Hawaii, Alaska, Guam, Micronesia and select South Pacific islands. It operates a premium, expedited service from China to Southern California. Established in 1987, Matson subsidiary Matson Logistics extends the geographic reach of Matson’s transportation network throughout the continental U.S with integrated, asset-light logistics services including rail intermodal, highway brokerage and warehousing.
Matson IT Infrastructure team is looking for an experienced engineer who is well-versed about traditional and cloud infrastructure in a large distributed cloud focused environment. This position will be part of a broader IT operations team and will be responsible for planning, system design, implementation, troubleshooting, and day-to-day operations of a global enterprise infrastructure.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Strategize, innovate, architect, and system design and deployment of Matson’s enterprise infrastructure (on premise and cloud), hyper-converged platform, enterprise data management, and virtual desktop environment.
- Develop, monitor, troubleshoot, maintain, optimize, and operate enterprise systems through robust process design, metrics, tools, to ensure security and compliance with technology standards, roadmaps, and policies.
- Deploy, configure, troubleshoot, maintain, optimize, and operate SAN storage, volume configuration and provisioning (NetApp, PURE) and rack/blade servers (Dell, Cisco UCS, Hyper Converged).
- Manage the availability, scalability and performance of cloud-based storage and data protection infrastructure.
- Planning, implementation, configuration, troubleshooting, operations, and end-to-end administration of VMware VDI Horizon View infrastructure running Window 10 instant, linked, and full clones.
- Maintain, scale, and optimize services reliability, performance, supportability, and security of infrastructure by measuring and monitoring availability, latency, and overall system health.
- Develop asset inventory and manage their lifecycle (obsolescence, modernization, refresh).
- Create and document system architecture, tradeoffs, and design decisions.
- Automate routine tasks for deployment, configuration, and monitoring for all of the above.
- Implement, administer, and audit systems for compliance with existing security practices.
- Build strong relationships with business units, Information Security, Architecture, and Application software teams, and vendors. Respond and communicate on any/all network and infrastructure configuration, troubleshooting, questions, and inquiries.
- Work with 24/7 cross-geographic team to provide on-call support on network and infrastructure related tasks.
- Strong knowledge of internet routing protocols and techniques such as TCP/IP, IPSec, NAT/Firewall rules, and static and dynamic routing protocols (BGP, OSPF).
- AWS VPC, VPC Gateway, transit gateways, ELB, EC2, S3, Glacier, etc.
- Solid experience in backup and restore technologies (Veritas, Cohesity, Commvault, etc.).
- Expert knowledge of basic RAID, storage tiering, storage architecture concepts, storage virtualization, local and datacenter replication practices, and storage best practices.
- Understanding file systems ZFS, XFS, NTFS along with the Enterprise Storage (NAS/SAN)/Data Protection/Backup Technologies.
- Deep understanding of virtualization and hypervisors including Hyper-V, VMWare/ESX, vSphere, vSAN, NSX Cloud.
- App Virtualization using VMware ThinApp, App Volumes.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Windows, Unix/Linux, AWS or Azure administration and scripting – Powershell, Python, and Bash Scripting.
- Knowledge and understanding of Office 365, SharePoint, hosted exchange, and file shares.
- Proficiency in administration of Active Directory, Domain Controller, DHCP, DNS, Group Policy, Host based firewall, etc.
- Strong experience in enterprise class “file systems” (File Systems, File/Block Storage Systems, Distributed File/System).
- Experience on any of the monitoring tools, like Nagios, SolarWind, Splunk, Alert Logic, Tivoli, etc.
- Familiarity with deployment and management systems such as Ansible, Puppet, Salt, Chef, Packer, Terraform, etc.
- Familiarity with REST/SOAP/JSON APIs.
- Familiarity with IT compliance and risk management requirements e.g. PCI, PII, SOC I & II, ISO27001, etc. is highly desired.
- Understanding of departmental data center build out, including power, UPS, HVAC, cabling, and networks.
Qualifications, Education, & Experience
- Bachelor’s or Master’s (preferred) degree in Computer Science or related field.
- 7+ years of industry experience as an Infrastructure Engineer, with at least 3 years of experience in public cloud infrastructure such as AWS and/or Azure.
- Collects information to analyze a problem in order to determine the best technical solution.
- Able to troubleshoot problems of some complexity within a timely manner.
- Meets challenges with resourcefulness and uses creativity when solving problems.
- Organizes tasks and communicates changes and progress to immediate supervisor.
- Prioritizes work activities and uses time efficiently to meet deadlines.
- Responsive to identified production problems; Responds promptly and with a sense of purpose.
- Communicates well with peers, management and the business community.
- Perform as an active participant of the team and contributes to building a positive team spirit. Works collaboratively with other members of the IT Infrastructure team and other IT Services team members. Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and ethically and upholds organizational values.
- Self-motivated and self-directing. Sets and achieves challenging goals; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles.
- Approaches others in a tactful manner and reacts well under pressure.
- Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness, particularly in developing and executing test plans; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Maximizes productivity; completes work in timely manner; strives to increase productivity; takes the initiative to ask for additional tasks when assignments are complete.