The Senior Infrastructure Engineer participates in the development of an Enterprise approach to system specification, engineering, operational, administrative, capacity management, maintenance and support services for the H&R Block information technology infrastructure.
The Senior Infrastructure Engineer primary scope of control is the following:
- Server systems
The Senior Infrastructure Engineer secondary scope of control typically includes one or more of the following:
- Networks and data communication,
- Storage and data management solutions,
- Information Security
This position provides technical research and recommendations as needed to supplement the Lead and Principal Engineer, provides support in the areas of technical support escalation, operational logistics, incident and problem resolution services resulting in deployments with optimal Mean Time to Restore (MTTR) and Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) characteristics.
- Participate in as appropriate the engineering and deployment planning of infrastructure systems for IT and business customers. Contribute to the proactive identification of automation opportunities in workflow, electronic information availability, and new systems management tools.
- Proactively engage as the Tier 2 escalation point to satisfy requests for new applications or functionality or resolve system, software or hardware deficiencies in existing systems. These actions may include performing technical research, presenting a corrective plan of attack, interface with vendors for additional analysis, or executing a system recovery in the case of failure.
- Provide timely and consistent communication on overall systems status and operational issues as required by support and customer groups.
- Assure quality workmanship is performed by utilizing industry best practices and following H&R Block corporate standards and guidelines.
- Participate in efforts the implementation of proactive fault detection and capacity monitoring systems. Assist in configuration reviews to assure these systems quickly and accurately detect and mitigate incidents/problems through proper testing and maintenance. (i.e., CPU, Disk, Memory utilizing H&R Block corporate systems and standards).
- As situations warrant, may be a participant in matrix teams for project activities.
- Assure optimum systems performance by implementing and following sound system tuning practices, swift fault isolation and rigorous problem resolution management.
- Provide input to the planning, development and execution of backup and recovery services. Execute the duties that provide these services as required.
- Provide efficient and effective project assistance to the internal and external H&R Block user community as assigned. Provide input that assists in identifying hardware and software requirements, alternatives, implementation of solutions, and expanded use of network systems.
- Apply approved procedures and industry best practices on performance, confidentiality, integrity, and availability of applicable systems or solutions to deployed systems.
- Participate in the maintenance of security, contingency and system documentation of systems including diagrams, schema logical and physical layouts.
- Provide effective resolutions to hardware and operating system software problems utilizing industry best practices and H&R Block corporate standards.
- The ideal candidate will have five or more years of experience managing Linux servers in an enterprise environment. Red Hat experience strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience designing, implementing, and managing Linux / HPUX systems.
- Good understanding of operating systems core principles, performance and tuning.
- Expertise working with scripting tools such as shell, Python and/or Perl.
- Solid understanding of basic networking, load balancing, horizontal scaling, UNIX-related network services, TCP/IP networking, DNS, VLANs and HTTP(s).
- Familiar with Kickstart, PXE, etc.
- Experience with Red Hat Satellite Server and auto-provisioning.
- Server infrastructure automation with Ansible a plus.
- A proven track record of implementing and supporting VMware based infrastructure across a broad technology base.
- Experience with Logical Volume Manager, storage concepts and SAN provisioning.
- Implementing, configuring and supporting an enterprise Cisco UCS and HP Server Environment.
- Experience with enterprise backup/restore architectures and concepts including NetBackup.
- Demonstrated experience designing, implementing, and managing Veritas InfoScale (VCS).
- A familiarity with Windows Server and administering Active Directory.
- Familiarity with Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) and cloud computing in a public cloud. Azure experience preferred.
- Self-management skills including organization, time management and prioritization.
- Desire to learn and a passion for technology.
- Practical experience with process documentation tools and methods.
- Knowledge of quality assurance techniques and protocols.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent through a combination of education and work experience.
- Functional understanding of various infrastructure components of an IT infrastructure including but not limited to server systems, storage technology, network technology, information security.
- Analytical ability including network and network systems design, capacity monitoring, and error detection and resolution techniques.
- Ability to prioritize rapidly shifting priorities and workloads.
- Ability to work an on-call rotation (shared across team).
- Customer interface skills including problem solving, conflict resolution and team building.
- Excellent oral, written, interpersonal communication and customer service skills.