Every day, Global Payments makes it possible for millions of people to move money between buyers and sellers using our payments solutions for credit, debit, prepaid and merchant services. Our worldwide team helps over 3 million companies, more than 1,300 financial institutions and over 600 million cardholders grow with confidence and achieve amazing results. We are driven by our passion for success and we are proud to deliver best-in-class payment technology and software solutions. Join our dynamic team and make your mark on the payments technology landscape of tomorrow.
Summary of This Role
Provides technical support for Unix Operating Systems (OS) and components to ensure readiness, performance, resources, and security meets the needs of the client. Serves as a technical resource for systems design, installation, configuration and client provisioning. Monitors daily operations, providing maintenance and remediation of system issues.
What Part Will You Play?
- Installs, configures and may evaluate and make recommendations regarding all Unix (such as: Linux, AIX, Solaris 10 for Issuing; HP-UX for Acquiring) server equipment; loads software, customizes and configures systems and software to optimize resource requirements and audits the system to minimize vulnerability to penetration and abuse according to Payment Card Industry (PCI) standards. Installs new or rebuilds existing servers and configures hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with PCI standards and an experienced assessment of project/operational requirements. Utilizes software products to automate the provisioning of servers, services and end-user devices giving users access to data repositories or authorization to systems, network applications and databases.
- Performs daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs. Monitors for high availability, system data protection, backup and restore, Unix central authentication (account logins and other services), user account management, disk storage management, hardware and Operating Systems (OS) maintenance, and application maintenance. Writes programs or commands designed to be run by the Unix shell (shell scripting) to provide instructions to cover systemic business as usual system monitoring. Provides level two technical support and becomes knowledgeable of more difficult problems and solutions by assisting level three support personnel with all system issues. Assist with escalated issues requiring advanced/expert knowledge and experience with appropriate systems. Review work orders and assess the time already spent with the customer so that the work is prioritized and time management is sufficiently utilized.
- Maintains and evaluates maintenance practices for Unix infrastructure environment, server equipment, firmware, and installs Operating System patches and upgrades on current and new Unix projects. Assists with Kernel patching before compiling to bring previous versions up to date, save traffic, and minimize bottlenecks. Maintains performance tuning according to Service Level Agreements (SLA) utilizing configuration management tools and monitoring tools to evaluate performance trends and capacity planning recommendations. Deploys changes in accordance with change control process and assists with the creation, and updating of change control process guidelines. Maintains data center environmental and monitoring equipment.
- Provides data protection, recovery and business continuity; tests and validates disaster recovery and business continuity methods in Unix environment. Evaluates and performs routine backup and recovery for data protection and integrity for all Unix servers; monitors Unix infrastructure which consists of complex sets of equipment and system software; provides proactive remediation using availability and performance monitoring software. Develops custom scripts and testing procedures to ensure operational reliability and Disaster Recovery (DR) standards. Assists with platform documentation which includes but is not limited to training, platform support and DR documentation is complete and archived.
- Interacts closely with the respective client service representatives and works with all levels of team members across business units within the company. Provides team members with complex platform overview training and supporting documentation. Attends status calls when requested and provides detailed technical support. Mentors less experienced team members in becoming active participants in Unix Systems Administrator role and provides small group training and knowledge transfer.
- Troubleshoots multiple and more complex Unix networking services and application protocols (e.g., Transmission Connect Protocol / Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), Domain Name Service (DNS), Network File System (NFS), Lightweight Director Protocol (LDAP), Secure Shell (SSH), Simple Mail Transport Protocol (SMTP), Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP), Secure Socket Layer (SSL), and Hyper Text Transport Protocol (HTTP)) to resolve issues with file / information transmission and sharing.
- Continuously evaluates all systems supported or maintained for potential service improvements utilizing automation and orchestrations technologies to arrange, coordinate, and manage complex computer systems. Ensures skills are updated by attending the appropriate courses, utilization of reference materials, Internet resources, and vendor sponsored seminars. Identifies approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale. Maintains technological acumen with systems administration technology and recommends ways to take advantage of new technology.
What Are We Looking For in This Role?
- Bachelor's Degree
- Relevant Experience or Degree in: Computer or other similar technical concentration; relevant experience and / or training in lieu of education
- Typically Minimum 6 Years Relevant Exp
- Experience with IBM AIX, Redhat Linux and Oracle Solaris 10 systems administration.