Senior Industrial Engineer
At Collins Aerospace, we're dedicated to relentlessly tackle the toughest challenges in our industry – all to redefine aerospace.
Created in 2018 through the combination of two leading companies– Rockwell Collins and United Technologies Aerospace Systems – we're driving the industry forward through technologically advanced and intelligent solutions for global aerospace and defense. Every day we imagine ways to make the skies and the spaces we touch smarter, safer and more amazing than ever. Together we chart new journeys, reunite families, protect nations and save lives. And we do it all with some of the greatest talent this industry has to offer.
We are Collins Aerospace and we hope you join us as we REDEFINE AEROSPACE.
Do you want to be a part of something bigger? A team whose impact stretches across the world, and even beyond? At Collins Aerospace, our Mission Systems team helps civilian, military and government customers complete their most complex missions — whatever and wherever they may be. Our customers depend on us for intelligent and secure communications, missionized systems for specialized aircraft and spacecraft and collaborative space solutions. By joining our team, you'll have your own critical part to play in ensuring our customer succeeds today while anticipating their needs for tomorrow. Are you up for the challenge? Join our mission today!
At Rockwell Collins, it's our people who make the difference and are the backbone of our technologies. Employing some of the most talented, dedicated people on the planet is not by chance. People from all over the globe choose Rockwell Collins as the cornerstone of their careers, helping create and deliver communications, integration, and engineering solutions that our global customers demand so that our world keeps moving and stays connected. Join Rockwell Collins and help shape our future while creating yours. We believe having a solid work-life balance creates a healthy lifestyle and inspires creativity. At Rockwell Collins, we encourage career development and seek ways to provide you with opportunities for growth and variety in your work.
This position is for a Senior Industrial Engineer that applies advanced Industrial Engineering concepts, techniques, analysis and decision tools to promote and implement changes in manufacturing and service operations. The overarching intent of the roles and responsibilities of this position is improving quality, reducing costs, and improving the flow of product.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Responsible for technical problem definition and solution in manufacturing environment.
- Responsible to act as liaison with design engineering on incorporating changes to the designs which improve manufacturability
- Determine the most efficient sequence of operations and workflow, and establish methods for maximum utilization of production facilities and personnel.
- Lead cross-functional studies pertaining to cost control, cost reduction, inventory control through the application of Lean principles.
- Estimates project costs by evaluating cost factors and schedules and participates in preparation of proposals and presentations.
- Responsible for validating cost requirements/targets against pertinent business plan(s) and programmatic expectations.
- Plan and design facilities and layout for manufacturing processes and equipment, taking into account economic factors, process flow, operator efficiency and comfort.
- Perform assignments requiring the use and application of moderate to advanced engineering economics principles and techniques.
- Establish new approaches and techniques to achieve continuous improvement in all engineering economic disciplines.
- Maintain awareness of the technological state-of-the-art and of the Company's competitive position in the assigned area.
- Develop solutions to a variety of Industrial Engineering problems of moderate scope and complexity.
- Analyzes and understands systems requirements and design in terms of cost impacts and attributes.
- Perform or direct others in the performance of sophisticated economic analysis, and the proactive achievement of economic goals for complex systems and products under development.
- Develop tools or equipment that improve the manufacturing process or address safety concerns.
- Reviews product designs for producibility, providing technical input to correct design deficiencies in producibility.
- Responsible for researching and developing new assembly processes and making major improvements to existing processes.
- Complete understanding and application of Industrial Engineer principles, concepts, practices and standards is expected along with full knowledge of typical industry practices.
- Conduct research studies on new machines/equipment and making recommendations for acquisitions.
- Design, develop, and improve station loading/line balancing.
- Create and maintain factory staffing plan based on sales demand.
Job Skills & Attributes:
- Shows the ability to contribute toward team goals in addition to simply accomplishing individual goals.
- Trusted to directly interact with the customer and adhere to proper customer procedures while doing so.
- Demonstrates the ability to follow through on work assignments with little to no further prompting and raises any potential issues found to leadership.
- Is able to provide status of work assignments at any time and has shown the ability to improve based on past mistakes.
- Uses various software packages to maintain and update documents and records.
- Develops tactical plans to manage day-to-day problems and develop forward looking strategic plans.
- Actively helps teammates in need.
- Works from a daily to-do list, but can independently re-prioritize as needed.
- Assignment Complexity - Position demands creative and cost effective solutions supporting site goals and customer requirements.
- Accountability - Position affords opportunity for independent action while adhering to departmental Quality, On-time Delivery, Cost, and Safety goals.
- Impact of Decisions - Position has considerable impact on expense and capital budgets and the general direction of the plant's Lean transformation.
- Working Relationships - Position will interface with production personnel, management, and other support organizations (facilities, design engineering, etc). This position is in a manufacturing area of approximately 150 people.
- This position requires a Bachelor's degree in the appropriate discipline and 5 years of relevant experience or an Advanced degree in the appropriate discipline and 3 years of relevant experience. In the absence of a degree, 9 years of relevant experience is required.
- Bachelor's degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Math (STEM) discipline is required.
- US Citizenship is required
- Must have the ability to obtain a DoD Security Clearance
Station loading/capacity analysis
Manufacturing Lead time analysis
CAD or 3D modeling software
Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerance