Tetra Tech is currently seeking a Senior Hydraulic Engineer to join our Irvine, CA office. This individual will support ongoing projects and contracts and will support business development in the future (i.e., a seller-doer role). Business development includes; development of relationships with clients across northern California and the Central Valley, to support responses to proposals and prepare grant applications for various state and federal agencies.
The ideal candidate will have an emphasis on modeling skills to complete a wide variety of challenging and complex hydrologic, hydraulic, and sediment transport analysis and design projects. Potential projects include; floodplain management (levee design, certification and inspection; floodplain mapping; and restoration of floodplain connectivity), dam safety (probable maximum flood analysis, dam break analysis, inundation mapping and preparation of emergency action plans), river and floodplain restoration, watershed management, and determination/mitigation of water resources project impacts.
Primary clients include government agencies; county flood control districts, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, State of California, local municipalities, Natural Resources Conservation Service, and the Bureau of Reclamation, as well as local power utilities, and Tribes.
- Perform hydraulic modeling and hydraulic design of facilities including levees, channels, in-stream and floodplain restoration features such as bio-engineered projects and levee setbacks, culverts/bridges, bioengineered bank protection measures, grade controls, and spillways.
- Perform floodplain, inundation, and hydrologic studies.
- Perform hydrologic analyses to support water resources projects.
- Perform sediment transport and scour analyses to support water resources projects.
- Prepare project reports and perform oral presentations.
- Work with a multidisciplinary team including geomorphologists, biologists, economists and planners; as well as other hydraulic and water resources engineers.
- Supervise and delegate work to junior engineers and support staff as necessary to manage specific hydraulic engineering tasks within larger complex projects.
- Contribute to business development, marketing, and proposal preparation efforts.
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering (or related field). A Master's Degree with specialization in hydraulics is preferred but not required.
- Professional Engineer license required (CA license required w/in 6 months of hire).
- 8+ years of professional experience in hydraulics and hydrology.
- Experience with 1-D steady and unsteady modeling such as HEC-RAS, HEC-GeoRAS, and similar.
- Experience with hydrologic modeling such as HEC-HMS, HEC-GeoHMS, and SWMM as well as statistical analysis of flow record.
- Experience with 2-D modeling (RAS-2D, FLO-2D, ADH, SRH-2D and similar).
- Experience with Sediment Transport modeling (HEC-RAS, HEC-6T, SIAM and similar) a plus.
- Experience and knowledge of FEMA requirements (including C/LOMR processing) a plus.
- Solid technical writing and communication skills.