SmithGroup is an award-winning, multinational integrated design firm with a team of 1,200 experts across 15 offices in the U.S. and China. We employ research, data, advanced technologies and design thinking to help clients solve their greatest challenges. Our specialists develop beautiful, sustainable, future-focused solutions for healthcare providers, science and technology organizations, higher education and cultural institutions, urban environments, diverse workplaces, mixed-use and waterfront developments, and parks and open spaces. We are deeply committed to our promise to Design a Better Future - for our clients, communities and employees. Are you ready to help us get there?
The Madison or Milwaukee office of SmithGroup is looking for a Senior Higher Education Project Manager to join our team.
Working with us, you will:
- Manage a range of small to large size architectural and site projects, with a focus on Higher Education clients (including public and private institutions) and the State of Wisconsin projects.
- Negotiate project scope, fees, job production and quality, fee management and collection, monitoring project accounts as well as establishing and executing project work plans.
- Provide leadership and management necessary to strategize successful project delivery, financial performance and risk mitigation.
- Develop and manage positive client relationships and work as the client’s advocate by identifying and balancing client expectations within the context of contractual obligations, corporate goals, and client satisfaction.
- Communicate with all project participants, internal staff, consultants, clients, owners, contractors and jurisdictions in an effective and collaborative manner.
- Develop and define project schedule to meet contractual obligations and to match team size and skill. Establish and update project staffing requirements consistent with contractual obligations.
- Provide technical and administrative supervision of the multi-disciplinary project staff assuring the technical, administrative and schedule targets are met within the framework of corporate policy and in accordance with applicable professional and corporate standards. Take responsibility for overall client satisfaction, service, quality and financial performance.
- Manage project communiques, delivery and deliverables to ensure the highest quality of documentation and professionalism.
- Participate in business development efforts through learning/understanding the local client market, maintaining an active role in professional organizations and supporting proposal development and interviews.
- Mentor junior staff and participate in performance coaching.
- Participate in the recruitment and interviewing process as requested.
An ideal candidate has:
- A bachelor’s degree in Architecture or equivalent.
- Minimum 15 years of project management experience leading medium to large-scale architectural projects for Higher Education clients and the State of Wisconsin of varying types and complexity.
- Architectural registration required.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in working in a multi-disciplinary team setting, collaborating, mentoring and client satisfaction.
- Thorough knowledge of the entire project delivery process and ability to lead design efforts through all project stages, including leadership with the client, contractors, and internal team.
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite, Revit, AutoCAD, and Adobe Creative Cloud Suite. Experience using Deltek Vision for financial management, reporting and resource planning; preferred.
SmithGroup offers competitive compensation and an excellent benefit package, including 401(k) and continuing educational reimbursement. We offer 3 weeks of paid time off within the first year of employment, with the option of purchasing additional time off, and pay for 8 federal holidays. We also offer an alternative work schedule that provides employees with an additional 15 days off per year (usually Fridays) to help with work/life balance.