If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
Cruise is looking for a Senior Hardware Engineer to help us develop and integrate next-generation high-performance LiDAR sensors to our vehicles. The Senior Hardware Engineer works with systems engineering, vehicle integration, perception software, fleet reliability and external partners to develop and integrate cutting-edge technologies to our autonomous vehicles and conduct in-depth root cause investigations into vehicle-specific or fleet-wide issues to develop long-term solutions to these issues.
In this role you will develop Cruise or third-party sensors to meet systems and perception requirements, carry out sensor and system characterization and integration and follow on to fleet rollout and support.
If you’re interested in helping to make autonomous driving a reality, let’s chat!
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Collaborate with software developers, systems engineers, and hardware teams to develop sensor specifications based on perception and system requirements
- Work with our internal and external partners and suppliers to evaluate and develop leading edge LiDAR sensors
- Develop processes and tools to evaluate and characterize sensors and improve fleet performance and reliability
- Coordinate sensor integration efforts including component placement, mechanical, electrical and software integration
- Team up with fleet teams to identify, troubleshoot and root cause issues and work with developers and suppliers to find solutions
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- BS or MS degree in Electrical, Mechanical, Automotive, Industrial, or similar Engineering
- Experience in an industrial, manufacturing, automotive, robotics, or similar industry
- Hands-on experience with mechanical, electrical, and software engineering components and an understanding of how they interact in a complex electromechanical system
- Able to ramp up quickly on numerous new technical areas
- Exceptional analytical problem solving skills
- Ability to adapt and operate under ambiguity
- Strong communication skills
- Programming skills for purposes of automated testing and data processing, i.e. scripting, Python, Matlab, knowledge of APIs, and data security
- Experience in automotive, sensors, or calibration, especially LiDAR
- Experience with CV algorithms and CNN based approaches for detection and classification tasks
- Experience in the automotive industry