Position Purpose: The Government Proposal Writer Sr. develops proposals and other collateral, such as responses to RFIs, RFPs, RFQs, and unsolicited papers in support of business plan targets. This position reports to the Director, Proposals and supports both the Director and Proposal Manager in leading small efforts and in fulfilling writing and editing tasks on large efforts involving multiple team members.
- Supports proposal development by leading the writing of technical, management, and past performance proposal sections that are comprehensible, organized, succinct, persuasive, compliant and meet internal and external deadlines.
- Writes and edits proposal sections, leads volumes, and incorporates win themes.
- Synthesizes text and ideas from multiple authors, including SMEs and consultants; Compiles information for each section and edits language to ensure one voice. Edits for consistency, clarity, grammar, and syntax, and complies with customer requirements.
- Analyzes solicitation requirements and RFP specifications, writes original text, and validates compliance.
- Attends strategy meetings and participates in review teams.
- Acts as a focal point for the collection of information from various sources. Works closely with SMEs to obtain information needed.
- Recommends improvements in writing/editing policies, processes, and tools.
- Works with proposal artists to capture key messages in graphics. Also supports full-cycle activities such as Q/A, BAFO, and Oral Presentations.
- Contributes to development of intellectual capital, and tools and systems to promote efficiency and effectiveness in new business development capture. Assists with proposal production, including quality assurance checks.
- Notifies others of new information or information updates after each bid.
Education/Experience: Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, Marketing or Communications; formal proposal training preferred, including training for Oral Proposals. Minimum five years experience in professional writing (mass media, deadline-oriented); including minimum three years with government proposals.
Minimum three years technical, public relations or marketing writing experience strongly desired.