We are looking for a Senior Geotechnical Engineer who will be responsible for providing geotechnical engineering expertise for lateral development at the Integrated Skarns Project.
You will be responsible for consistent application of geotechnical engineering standards together with good engineering practice to ensure the quality of the excavation and support installation meet Rio Tinto standards.
This is a great opportunity for an experienced and engaged leaderto play a key technical role within the operations team at the project site.
Reporting to the Principal Advisor Technical Services and working for the Integrated Skarns project, you will be:
- Coordinate and manage UGC geotechnical team, consultants and third-party geotechnical contractors required for executing the plan/schedule;
- Conduct stability assessments, rock mass assessments and develop ground support requirements and standards for the site as required;
- Coordinate the review and updating of the Ground Control Management Plan;
- Collaborate with site operations and construction personnel to provide relevant and appropriate advice required for project development and construction to be completed safely and within authorized budget cost and schedule;
- Ensure Geotechnical data is collected as required/scheduled for the purpose of rock mass characterization (mapping and logging), ground support quality control and monitoring (excavation stability and ground support performance);
- Coordinate the collection of rock samples for testing and provide guidance on selection, sample preparation, and testing specifications/methods;
- Contribute to the installation, commissioning, and maintenance of all geotechnical monitoring systems such that they provide accurate and timely information for ensuring the stability of major excavations and monitoring the performance of ground support systems;
- Ensure the operations team, construction team and EPCM contractor are provided with timely and accurate information required for executing the underground scope;
- Identifying best practice through experience, diverse learning opportunities, and accepting guidance and mentorship of the geotechnical engineers and technicians to prepare for future roles.
What you’ll bring
- A commitment to the safety of yourself and your team
- Tertiary qualification, geotechnical engineering
- Undergraduate qualification in engineering geology, geological, mining or civil engineering
- A minimum of 8 years of relevant experience
- Core underground mining geotechnical engineering experience
- Excavation design and sequencing.
- Ground support design.
- Numerical modelling experience.
- Experience in rock mass characterization which includes rock mass data acquisition (through core logging, face mapping).
- Geotechnical monitoring – system installation, data acquisition and data analysis experience
- Proficiency in mine planning software (For example: Leapfrog, Vulcan, Deswik or GEMS, etc).
- Strong collaboration and management skills.