Flatiron Constructors has an immediate opening in its Technical Services Group (TSG) department for a Senior Geotechnical Engineer with extensive foundation and ground improvement design experience to provide technical leadership, oversight and interdisciplinary coordination on complex transportationinfrastructure Alternative Delivery Method (e.g. PPP, Design-Build) projects throughout the US and Canada. TSG is Flatiron’s Center of Technical Excellence and Design Expertise located in Broomfield, CO. As a TSG team member, you will provide innovative, optimized technical & value engineering solutions for Design & Construction challenges. You will contribute through all phases of project delivery, from conceptual design through final construction.
- Lead as the overall supervisor of technical operations. This includes, but is not limited to: oversight on all geotechnical temporary and permanent works design, schedule and budget performance, quality of engineering solutions and deliverables, and coordination of design throughout procurement and construction;
- Provide project engineering duties, including but not limited to: preparation of design criteria and basis, and performing specialized engineering, analysis and design;
- Perform interdisciplinary peer-/constructability review of design deliverables for optimization, compliance with contract documents, and identification and implementation new technologies that provide a competitive advantage;
- Lead technical meetings and discussions, and strategize solutions to complex or unique Design & Construction challenges;
- Assist senior management team in on technical risk assessment and mitigation;
- Provide engineering decisions within the criteria set by applicable policies, standards and contract commitments for each project;
- Support design coordination and liaisons with Clients and Subcontractors; interface with specialized consultants.
- Mentor junior staff in technical and professional development.
- Master’s Degree or greater (PhD) in Geotechnical Engineering (or related field);
- 10+ years of progressive engineeringexperience, possessing a broad knowledge and hands-on experience in design/construction, and strong technical skills in geotechnical design with an emphasis on design-build delivery methods;
- Active Professional Engineer (PE) license is required;
- Experience with geotechnical design and underground engineering (geotechnical engineering incl. soil and rock mechanics, shallow and deep foundations, earth retention systems and slopes, ground improvement, pavement and subgrade, numerical modeling in geotechnical engineering), and broad understanding of the following, including but not limited to: Plan, supervise and interpret geotechnical field/laboratory investigations and monitoring; Understanding of soil-structure-interaction with an ability to translate this into effective structural analysis; Experienced in use of design software for geotechnical and structural analysis and proficiency with numerical computations;
- Strong all-around theoretical knowledge of structural engineering principles;
- Substantial analytical, numerical and industry design standards experience;
- Solid understanding of constructability and construction practices;
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and presentation skills.