Overview / Responsibilities
Amec Foster Wheeler is a multinational company employing around 35,000 people in over 55 countries. We have an established reputation for excellence in engineering in dams and hydropower projects. We are seeking a Senior Geotechnical Engineer with Dam Engineeringexperience to join our team in Ottawa, Ontario. The successful candidate will be specialized in mining projects with extensive dam experience.
The ideal candidate will be a Professional Engineer with a strong background in the geotechnical aspects of dam safety evaluations and design. We are seeking a committed, detail-oriented individual who will be able to utilize their knowledge and experience. With a demonstrated ability to lead and grow a team of professionals performing engineering, construction and project management on behalf of our clients.
- Provide engineering analysis, design & reporting for mining environmental projects; tailings dams, water management system, waste rock, open pit, etc.
- Perform design and analytical functions including stability, seepage, bearing capacity and settlement analyses
- Perform Dam Safety Inspections/Dam Safety Reviews, Dam Safety Evaluations, Risk Assessments
- Perform technical writing & review of proposals & project documents; issued to clients, etc.
- Prepare design drawings & specifications from scoping study to detailed design and construction
- Develop construction and engineering cost estimates
- Prepare reports and coordinate support activities
- Review findings and prepare recommendations
- Work as an integral team member in a multi-discipline environment
- Liaise with other technical specialists including hydrogeologists, hydrologists, geochemists, rock mechanics, environmental and other disciplines
- Provide quality leadership & mentoring of junior technical staff
- Manage contractors and sub-consultants
- Manage projects in remote regions
Skills / Qualifications
- Graduated from an accredited university with a degree in Geotechnical, Civil, Mining or Geological Engineering
- Minimum of 15 to 20years’ experience in civil, geotechnical or related experience in design of earth dams obtained largely from mining projects with dam experiences
- Eligibility as a Registered Professional Engineer (P.ENG), APGO
- Experience with design and construction of tailings dams and related mine-site earthworks infrastructure
- Experience with design work incorporating the principles promoted by the Canadian Dam Association (CDA), or ICOLD, etc.
- Experience managing multiple mining and/or construction related projects simultaneously
- Proven experience with budgeting and cost forecasting
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently or in a team setting
- Ability to travel, domestic & international travelrequired