This position is represented by Engineers and Scientists of California (ESC) and is subject to collective bargaining.
This is a senior level Engineer position. This position plays an integral role in ensuring that safety, reliability, and compliance is maintained within the gas distribution system by supporting resolution to compliance issues, identifying, reviewing, or recommending corrective work (including main replacement), and ensuring Gas Design Standard adherence. Additionally, the Senior Gas Distribution Engineer (SDE) provides design support, coaching, technical advice, knowledge transfer and assistance to technical employees and teams.
Able to perform all the duties of the journey level Gas Distribution Engineer with a higher level of independence or for more complex activities, and in addition:
- Acts as Responsible Engineer for assigned projects requiring PE approval
- Performs assigned conflict reviews, including Agency coordination to identify WRO scope of work and avoidance of facility relocation
- Reviews, processes and/or approves (if permitted by the standard) Gas Standards variance requests. (other classifications, including management employees also perform)
- Approves Strength Test Pressure Reports for assigned projects. (other classifications also perform)
- Reviews Distribution Regulator Station Operating Diagram revisions, if required by process.
- Acts as a lead in assigned root cause analyses and makes recommendations to address problems.
- Endorse Maintenance Clearances (Non-routine)
- Review As-Builts and provide guidance to Documentation QC group
- Provide guidance on W&C Matrix and set dates as assigned
- Providing Service Planning and Design (SP&D) Support by reviewing bridge designs and meter rooms, reviews and dispositions of variance requests, and general engineering support.
- Approves Compliance Reviews (e.g. MAOP Annual review, Relief Valve Calculation Annual Review, Stub review, etc.)
- May Interpret Gas Rules and Tariffs, often by corresponding with Land, Law, Tariffs, and other departments to support Gas Distribution Portfolio Management and Engineering (GDPM&E) and SP&D.
External contacts are with public agencies, contractors, and vendors. Internal contacts are with GDPM&E team members, Company management and leadership. Exchanges information and solves problems with others outside GDPM&E.
- A BS or higher degree in Mechanical or Civil Engineering from a college or university accredited by the Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technology
- Eight years of cumulative experience in engineering and design
- Current and active California PE license
- Extensive knowledge of engineering principles, industry practice, and Codes & Standards to resolve complex problems
- Ability to perform stress calculations for gas distribution facilities and interpret results
- Strong and effective organizational, analytical, time management skills
- Ability to prioritize and to meet tight deadlines in an environment of competing priorities with a degree of autonomy and integrity
- Efficient knowledge of Microsoft Office Excel