Khan Academy is looking for passionate software engineers to help change education – join us on our mission to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere.
We’ve built a talented development team with engineers from a variety of backgrounds. Our team includes industry leaders from Google, Apple, Facebook, Mozilla, Pixar, and Intuit, as well as folks from tiny startups and developers from non-traditional backgrounds. Together, we’re a team that is deeply invested in your future. We believe that no organization will be as invested in developing you as a professional.
Currently, we’re hiring a Senior Full Stack Engineer. As an engineer at Khan Academy, you'll help learners build mastery regardless of where they are, and regardless of whether they are accessing KA on the browser, on Android, or on iOS. You’ll create new, impactful ways for teachers and students to use online learning in the classroom. You’ll work on the content creation and translation tools that we rely on to expand our library of world-class educational content and bring it to an international audience. You'll help build cutting-edge infrastructure to enable students of all backgrounds to succeed on high-stakes assessments like the SAT and LSAT. Ultimately, you'll be part of helping millions of learners around the world unlock their full potential.
What you'll do:
- Take on world-changing challenges guided by our Engineering Principles – some of which have never been solved before.
- Model problems, then design, write, test and release code to solve them!
- Collaborate with your peers via code reviews to level up yourself and others, to improve your ability to provide effective feedback, and to achieve higher quality code.
- Ship products with a cross-functional team of engineers, designers, analysts and product managers.
- Contribute to open source! We ?? open source, and we give back to the community whenever we can.
- Work on code that is used by millions of monthly active learners from all over the ?.
You can read about our latest work on our Engineering Blog. A few highlights:
- Running A/B tests to make sure all our changes help people learn (not just increase page views)
- Designing tools to help us (and others) build accessible software
- Experimenting with new technologies to improve site performance
- Excitement about helping Khan Academy bring a free, world-class education to the world.
- Eagerness to learn, educate, write code, and build products used by millions of learners and teachers.
- Experience building and maintaining complex software. You’ll join us in writing clean, maintainable software that solves hard problems. You’ll write testable, quality code. You’ll push the team and the mission forward with your contributions.
- Experience building highly scalable web services and working with distributed, eventually-consistent databases.
- Strong desire to mentor others and take the lead on features through technical leadership and product ownership
- Strong communication, thoughtfulness, and desire to give and receive regular feedback - including the ability to work in tight-knit teams that flourish from communicating regularly.
- Strong desire to help define and implement development best practices across the organization.
- Experience breaking apart complex problems into tangible, understandable units - and then creating actionable solutions for each of them.
- Empathy for learners around the world. You love learning and are excited about helping others learn to love learning. You’re motivated to learn new things and share what you learn with the world.
You don't need:
We offer the following benefits:
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our team well!
- The opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the world.
- Competitive salaries and annual bonuses.
- Ample paid time off as needed. We’ll support you in maintaining a healthy life-work balance.
- Delicious catered lunch every day, plus tons of snacks and beverages.
- An inclusive, excited, and friendly team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant.
- A great location – we’re only 0.5 miles from the Caltrain and downtown Mountain View. We also pay for remote employees to fly out a few times a year, and our San Francisco dwellers are encouraged to work from home a few days a week to save the commute time.
- Awesome team events and weekly board game nights.
- Oh, and we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life.