Ripple is looking for a Senior Food Scientist to help further strengthen our Product Development Team. Reporting to our Vice President of R&D, this person will have an integral role in leading the product development of our next wave product innovations, while also lending technical support to our growing base business. We are looking for a candidate with a strong food science foundation, demonstrated expertise in innovation, and deep experience in the commercialization of products from bench to manufacturing facility, to help Ripple advance its mission of making sustainable and delicious plant-based foods.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
A successful candidate will be an integral member of the product development team. Specific tasks include:
- Being a vocal and influential product development leader that provides solutions for team, project, and department challenges.
- Independently lead the benchtop and pilot plant development of food formulations that involve high levels of complexity. Supports the commercialization of products at the manufacturing facility.
- Independently creates and executes product development project plans within our stage gate process, with minimal supervision.
- Supports the optimization of formulations and processes, as well as troubleshoot when the need arises.
- Represents the Product Development team on cross-functional project teams and delivers technical presentations at R&D meetings and to leadership.
- Drives workstreams & decision making with a “general manager” mindset.
- Manages a team of 2-3 high performing technologists and technicians.
- Helps develop multi-year product roadmap with support from other business leads.
- Independently directs the activities of external vendors, including ingredients and services.
- Plays the role of janitor, receptionist, IT-person, printer-jam-clearer, and general pitcher-inner alongside everyone else at Ripple
The ideal candidate will have at least 12+ years of product development experience with demonstrated expertise on commercializing complex food formulations across multiple product platforms. Experience working on high growth natural foods, beverages, or CPG brand(s) preferred. The candidate will also have great scientific and personal skills, including:
- Bachelors or Masters degree in food science, food technology, nutrition, or a related field
- Ability to travel approximately 25% of the time
- Extensive ingredient, flavor development, and product stability knowledge
- Innate curiosity for understanding complex food systems from a physical and chemical perspective
- Ability to rapidly synthesize and integrate consumer insights into project plans
- At least 5 yrs experience in people management or R&D professionals
- Good laboratory practices including organized data documentation and presentation, attention to detail, and ability to follow batch protocols
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and handle multiple projects/tasks at any given time
- Strong computer skills, especially working with nutritional software, spreadsheets, and quality systems
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Thermal pasteurization and/or sterilization of food products
- Proven teamwork and collaboration in small groups
Bonus points if you have experience with:
- Culinary arts and/or sensory science
- Product development of dairy and/or plant-based food products
- Project management software systems
Finally, you need to be able to roll up your sleeves and do whatever needs to be done, because, despite our early successes, this is still a start-up!