A. O. Smith Corporation (NYSE: AOS), founded in 1874, is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of residential and commercial water heating equipment and boilers, offering a comprehensive line featuring the best-known brands in North America and China, as well as water purification products for residential and light commercial applications. Our McBee, South Carolina facility is home to the Engineering and Manufacturing teams for our Commercial Water Heaters and Boilers, a category in which we have over 50% market share, with innovation such as our iComm connectivity platform for remote water heater management.
We are seeking a Senior Firmware Engineer in our Platform Electronics group that will be responsible for leading the development of embedded software in C, C#, and other languages for A. O. Smith products and/or applications.
- Develop embedded software in C, C#, or other selected languages, for AO Smith products and/or applications, following AO Smith coding standards and in accordance with applicable development methodology and release procedures.
- Utilize software engineering tools such as Code Warrior 10.x or Eclipse, build processes and debuggers in the software development process.
- May perform as the technical lead or Lead software Engineer for some projects.
- Participates in peer code reviews, providing comments and suggestions, as part of the software development process.
- Participate in the project planning process, providing input for scheduling and Statement of Work, product documentation, flow charts etc.
- Responsibility for all aspects of software, from concept, through design/development/testing, to release and support of products in the field.
- Work collaboratively with others in cross-functional teams.
- Bachelor’s degree, in Electronics, Electrical or Computer Engineering, from an ABET accredited institution and program
- Minimum of 1 years’ experience in Embedded Software Development
- Design of systems using serial communications using RS-485, I2C and SPI
- Design of control systems using PID control
- Communication via Ethernet, WiFi a plus
- Connection to building management systems using BACnet or Modbus a plus
- Design of HVAC, home appliance or industrial controls and user interfaces a plus
- Writing code and preparing documentation to meet requirements of UL- 60730
- Familiarity with electronics hardware design/development and reading schematics
- Design with NXP or Microchip microcontrollers
- Use of Scrum and/or Agile as part of project tracking and reporting
Great people make our organization great and because of that, we offer an onsite fitness center, onsite cafeteria and micro market, a competitive compensation package (base plus bonus) and comprehensive benefits plans which include medical and dental insurance, company-sponsored life insurance, 401k with company match and year-end contribution, short- and long-term disability programs, employee development opportunities, and tuition assistance. Relocation assistance is also offered for this role.