Welcome to Valmont, where a world of opportunity awaits. When you join our team, you become part of a passionate group dedicated to changing lives and conserving resources around the globe. We want problem solvers who roll up their sleeves to foster progress and innovation for all people.
At Valmont, we provide infrastructure, irrigation, tubing and coatings to the world. We strengthen cities. We nourish croplands. We design, manufacture and coat. Our products and services make a difference. Join us, and BUILD YOUR WORLD.
A Brief Summary of This Position
A main function of the Senior Firmware Design Engineer is the design and development of embedded firmware and software as an integral part of the technology development team. The incumbent will design and develop the firmware and software as required to meet product requirements as defined by the Product Management Team.
The incumbent is expected to take on the role as the team firmware expert responsible for scheduling and monitoring workflow of the design to meet milestone dates for those projects assigned. The design team consists of individuals from product engineering, product management, manufacturing engineering, marketing, and engineering services. The Senior Firmware Design Engineer is responsible for supporting the development of “engineering best practice” procedures and design validation standards. The Senior Firmware Design Engineer attends technical design review meetings and provides technical design inputs and direction when needed.
To provide the end results required by this position, the incumbent follows design and development procedures and recommends updates to these procedures when needed. Should continually acquire an increasing knowledge of existing assemblies, stay up-to-date on manufacturing capabilities, and develop an awareness of the field usage of the products. This position mentors and coordinates the activities of the Engineering Technicians and Associate Firmware Engineers.
Important Details about the Role
- Embedded software development and support throughout the entire product lifecycle
- Creating software requirements and documentation
- Coding and testing of software to meet defined requirements
- Functional test design and documentation
- Assist hardware engineers with embedded system architecture and design
Required Qualifications of Every Candidate (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
- Bachelors of Science in Electrical or Computer Engineering from an ABET accredited school.
- Five years of relevant work experience
- Experience with C/C++ showing increasing complexity and growth as career progresses.
- Experience with assembly language.
- Experience with embedded processors such as C166, 8051, 80196, PIC, 240x DSP, ARM, and AVR.
- Familiarity with Test Equipment such as emulators, oscilloscopes, multimeters, spectrum analyzer, RF communications monitor, Ethernet sniffer, and serial protocol analyzer.
- Familiarity with Communications Protocols such as RS-232, RS-485, NMEA, TCP/IP, UDP, and Modbus
Highly Qualified Candidates Will Also Posses These Qualifications
- Seven (7) years of relevant work experience
- Masters of Science in Electrical or Computer Engineering
- Experience with Python and Labview
- Experience with Linux type operating systems
- Experience developing software/firmware in Agile work environment
- Experience in an Agriculture related field preferably irrigation.
Working Environment and Physical Efforts:
The Senior Firmware Design Engineer is constantly using hands and fingers. Reaching hands and arms above shoulder height while working in the office may be needed. The employee is frequently required to move about the office or plant. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, visual color perception as well as depth perception.
Due to the visual requirements of this position, employee must demonstrate acceptable vision by passing the driver’s license eye test for either the state of Nebraska or the state of Iowa. If employee does not have a valid license from either of these states, the determination of acceptable vision will be made by the Safety Department on an individual basis.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Valmont does not discriminate against any employee or applicant in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.