SmithGroupJJR is an international idea-oriented design firm that is committed to creating inspiring places that enrich the human spirit. We believe extraordinary environments are created when the design process is based on the principles of exploration, experimentation, innovation, sustainability, research, and collaboration. Our expertise in providing thoughtful and innovative solutions keeps SmithGroupJJR at the forefront of architectural, engineering and planning firms around the world. According to the 2017 Building Design + Construction magazine “Giants” ranking, SmithGroupJJR is the 7th largest architecture/engineering firm in the U.S.
SmithGroupJJR is looking for a senior fire protection engineer to join our growing fire protection/life safety team. This position is located in our Washington, DC office.
Working with us, you will:
- Assist in-house teams in the evaluation/design of Fire Protection and Alarm Systems for various projects
- Write/review fire protection and fire alarm specification for various projects
- Perform Building and Life Safety Code Analysis for new and existing buildings
- Generate Life Safety drawings and narratives
- Attend meetings with code officials/AHJs to develop/review design compliance alternatives
- Apply/Interpret National Building and Fire Codes and Standards to specific projects
- Perform Building Conditions Assessments and code compliance surveys for existing buildings
- Work closely with fellow in-house fire protection engineers to collaborate and develop best practice solutions for complex project fire protection and code compliance scenarios
An ideal candidate has:
- A minimum of 8 years of experience in fire protection engineering design
- A Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Electrical, or Fire Protection Engineering from an accredited university
- The ability to work with clients and colleagues at all levels
- PE licensure and eligibility for security clearance are preferred
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Working knowledge of REVIT MEP
SmithGroupJJR offers competitive compensation and an excellent benefit package, including 401(k) and continuing educational reimbursement. We offer 3 weeks of paid time off within the first year of employment, with the option of purchasing additional time off, and pay for 8 federal holidays. We also offer an alternative work schedule that provides employees with an additional 15 days off per year (usually Fridays) to help with work/life balance.