At CAS, a division of the American Chemical Society, we are scientists, technologists and business leaders who continuously and passionately pursue new knowledge in our quest to fuel scientific discovery and empower innovation.
Dedicated to the ACS vision of improving people’s lives through the transforming power of chemistry, the CAS team of highly trained scientists finds, collects and organizes all publicly disclosed substance information, creating the world’s most reliable collection of content that is vital to innovation worldwide. CAS provides a suite of solutions relied on by researchers, patent professionals and decision-makers around the world that advance the scientific enterprise by enabling discovery and facilitating workflows.
CAS is currently seeking a Senior Financial Analyst. This position will be located in our headquarters in Columbus, Ohio.
The Senior Financial Analyst is a finance and operational business partner to the Technology division. The team is responsible for facilitation and management of the Technology Finance operating expense and capital budgets. The work is fast paced, technically challenging, and very visible. This role involves close collaboration with Technology, Finance and Business professionals at all levels within the organization.
The Senior Financial Analyst is a highly experienced analyst, considered a subject matter expert, and will provide financial support to the Technology division. This person should be a self-starter who can work independently and as part of a team. This role reports to the Divisional Financial Support Manager and will have significant coordination with Technology division partners, as well as other CAS departments in order to provide support.
- Assist Manager with monthly assessment of performance and execution against budget across Technology departments and provide insight and understanding of results to Management.
- Leverage best practices and ensure support of key operational and financial initiatives.
- Conducts or participates in Technology projects where analysis requires an in-depth evaluation of factors.
- Support and drive process improvements.
- Participates in the planning and development of the annual Technology operating/capital budget.
- Identify opportunities to control costs and reduce expenses.
- Research and prepare evaluations on a variety of projects/problems (financial, statistical, operational and cost/benefit analyses).
- Gathering, analyzing, preparing and summarizing recommendations for financial plans and monthly forecasts for the Technology division.
- Design and produce analyses/reports/dashboards for department and/or management. This will require coordination with a dedicated Business Analyst.
- Follow and conduct audit processes and review internal controls to ensure financial transactions are accurate, timely and comply with accounting standards, principles and company policy. Highlight issues proactively.
- Ensure compliance with relevant financial policies and procedures.
- Provide and seek training and mentoring from peers for cross-functional growth, learning and career development.
- Develop and maintain productive working relationship with Technology and other stakeholders.
- Serve as a corporate liaison and financial "mentor" to internal customers.
- Maintain superior working knowledge of data and information resources.
OTHER IMPORTANT DUTIES
- Perform special projects and other related duties as assigned/required.
- Collaborate with the business to develop headcount reporting needs for Technology Leadership team
- Assist Manager with monthly Technology Division management reporting package, as well as town hall, governing board, and other presentations.
- Understanding of Information Technology, along with a Finance background.
- Advanced knowledge of Finance/Accounting principles.
- Demonstrates specialized depth and/or breadth of financial analysis and strong working knowledge of related disciplines contributes to the development of new concepts and techniques.
- Highly accurate and analytical, with the ability to research, obtain, synthesize, and draws inferences from data.
- Skilled in planning, organizing, prioritizing, and executing work.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Utilize expertise and understanding of accounting systems to help support Technology Finance team day to day operations.
- Strong working knowledge of PowerPoint, Word, Visio.
- Comprehensive understanding of Oracle Financial Management Solutions, including PeopleSoft and Hyperion.
- Advanced mathematical skills with an ability to perform financial calculations and data analysis.
- Advanced Excel skills (developing/decoding macros & VBA, pivot tables, charts, financial calculations).
- Ability to work with relational database concepts and report writing using Microsoft Access, Microsoft Excel, or SQL.
- Use of Business Intelligence tools such as Tableau, SharePoint, Confluence, JIRA, etc.
- Experience in managing internal and external headcount tracking via use of HRIS tools.
- Creative and innovative thinker, willing to explore ideas and make impacts, improvements, or change.
- Self-directed and self-motivated, with the ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines, with tight deadlines
- High level of personal integrity and confidentiality.
- Capable of working both independently and as a contributing team member, to meet team and department deadlines and goals.
- Strong interpersonal skills to effectively interact with all levels of employees and management
- Strong customer service acumen.
- Must take initiative to explore industry standard best practices, keep up-to-date with technology changes & training related Technologyfinance.
- Flexibility to changing tasks or priorities and work hours to meet deadlines.
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Finance, Accounting, Information Systems, or other related field required or 8+ years of equivalent work experience and/or advanced certifications, such as CPA, MBA, ITIL, PPM, etc.
- 3+ years working with relational databases and reporting development required.
- 3+ years of financial and budgeting experiencerequired.
- Experience in IT Financial Management required.
- Working knowledge of IT Procurement.
- 3+ years working on and leading/managing projects preferred.
- Understanding of information systems operations and support processes
- Experience in working with organizational change and/or shared services environments across multiple departments, divisions, and business units.
- Experience communicating and interacting with senior level leadership required.