Under general guidance, independently manages execution and timely completion of assigned work orders and other Inspection Cost projects by analyzing scope, determining requirements and evaluating complex products and systems to establish requirements and prepare reports. Maintains the integrity of the UL Mark by conducting various product, device, process, system and material inspections at various sites and factory locations to ensure they are produced and marked in compliance with various applicable technical requirements. Assists in the promotion, marketing and selling of new and existing UL services. Involved in teaching or facilitating technical courses related to UL Standards or New Processes. (Mentoring for new Field Engineers) Works with internal and external customers to resolve technical and administrative issues.
- Under general guidance, performs safety and non-safety certification inspections, and field evaluations in accordance with appropriate performance standards and other requirements. Analyzes and evaluates examination and test results against applicable requirements. Uses technical judgment to determine whether noncompliance variations compromise the continued application of the UL Mark and may determine if alternative is acceptable. Involved in conducting Adjunct Services inspections related to International Certifications.
- Interprets and analyzes examination and test results against UL requirements, verifying the accuracy of manufacturer's measuring equipment and reviewing production and inspection records. Periodically reviews manufacturer's programs of production, inspection, and shipping to ensure products are produced and marked in compliance with UL requirements. Evaluates and facilitates options for corrective action where variations from UL requirements are noted. Understands construction and test acceptance criteria in FUII and requirements of applicable sections of Standards, FUIIs and/or procedures for "Special Competency" required categories. May also be involved with witnessing testing for UL Engineering related to Standard Requirements.
- Communicates with manufacturers and customers, Authorities Having Jurisdiction ("AHJ") and others to conduct safety and non-safety certification inspections. Investigates misuse of UL Mark situations. Provides general information on policies and procedures for the varied UL services along with promoting and explaining the benefits of new and existing services. Discusses procedures, test methods, test results, sample selection and variations in products, devices, processes, systems and materials as necessary to resolve problems, implement changes to existing requirements or help develop new requirements.
- Provides technical assistance in several product categories and/or inspection methods. For example: Working as a Designated Field Representative (DFR) or Primary Designated Field Representative (PDFR) for a category or as operating as Subject Matter Expert (SME) for a new process or application.
- Uses instruments to perform inspections, such as micrometers, voltmeters, ammeters, and other UL supplied equipment. Observes use of manufacturer's equipment necessary to meet UL requirements. Confirms proper calibration of manufacturer's measuring equipment and perform calibration of UL supplied equipment when necessary.
- Documents examination, variations and test results appropriate UL forms. Maintains logs for scheduling inspections, time and expenses. Performs various calculations in more than one specific engineering field such as electrical, mechanical, chemical, or fire protection.
- Participates in proposing changes to UL Policy Manuals such as the Field Services Manual. Assists in reviewing and submitting comments on new Follow Up Services ("FUS") programs when directed. Coordinates with other UL staff on conducting the field portion of File Reviews. May represent UL at International Association of Electrical Inspectors ("IAEI") meetings and other AHJ and industry events.
- Resolves process, management system and possibly engineering issues associated with Variation Notices by analyzing and reporting on the acceptability of the variations. Understands and applies HBSE (Hazardous Based Safety Engineering) principles and concept correctly when necessary during VN handling.
- Integrates and/or develops continuous improvement concepts and techniques into all aspects of the job.
- May participate in reviewing the work of assigned staff. May consult management on staffing levels and performance appraisal process of other field staff.
- May participate in reviewing customer quality assurance programs and interpret requirements to assist in implementation of alternate quality-based inspection programs.
- Performs other duties as directed.
- University Degree or equivalent Technical Certificate in Engineering, Engineering Technology, Industrial Technology, Manufacturing Technology, or Physics from an ABET accredited program and eight years directly related experience.
- Detailed knowledge of third party certification inspection process.
- Detailed knowledge of the technical vocabulary common to the appropriate discipline.
- Working knowledge of Field Evaluations, conformity standards and the NEC
- Demonstrated ability to apply project handling concepts in use in areas of expertise, including application to complex, new, or modified products in the field
- Experienced with the utilization of Electrical Test Equipment
- A working knowledge of industry issues, needs, and problems, and the ability to succinctly communicate potential issues found with customers
- A basic understanding of Hazard Based Safety Engineering principles
- Fluency in English is required.