Senior Federal Proposal Manager
11 - 15 years experience • Manufacturing / Diversified
1. Serves as the proposal leader and point of contact for multiple disciplinary teams throughout the proposal development process on targeted projects.
2. Leads a team of subject matter experts, development engineers, strategic partners and proposal experts to accurately develop a solution compliant with the parameters and expectations described in the solicitation document.
3. Develops and writes high quality proposals leading to selection on competitive federal ESPC/UESC/UMCS/ESS task orders and ID/IQ contracts.
4. Strategically aligns and defines Johnson Controls offerings in response to customer solicitation requirements.
5. Edits content from subject matter experts, and/or reviews text assigned to others, to ensure that the strategy, message, and customer vernacular flows in one voice throughout the final document.
6. Provides design-assist to the proposal process which results in greater efficiency, improved win rate, and lower costs.
7. Participates in developing and managing the pursuit pipeline and identifying must-win opportunities for Johnson Controls.
8. Manages the process and resources for delivering effective and competitive proposals.
9. Delivers direction and clarity of roles for internal and external team members involved in the proposal process.
10. Analyzes specific requirements, provides insight, benchmarks data, mitigates risk and develops best practices from other proposals, debriefs, contracting offices and federal agencies as part of continuous improvement efforts.
11. Instills discipline into the pursuit process and manages the activities of others assigned to the opportunity/proposal effort.
12. Prepares a library of previously used effective content, past performance projects, references, and energy conservation measures descriptions for recurring use on future proposals.
13. Networks with others within Johnson Controls to craft the best solution that is innovative, provides best value, within allowable risk tolerances, and resonates with the customer to gain selection.
14. Assists the sales team to prepare and present the evolving proposal details during internal management reviews throughout the procurement process.
15. Manages the final preparation of pricing estimates for review and approval by the corresponding managers and submits to customers as part of the proposal.
16. Coordinates the design and production of computer-generated graphics, charts, tables, multi-media graphics, and text material for visual presentation or import into the proposal document.
17. Facilitates the transition of proposed solution details to the members of the project team after selection.
18. Participates in appropriate professional organizations and builds relationships within the Federal industry.
19. Create and maintain new contract and task order templates to assure commonality between electronic folders.
20. Manage all MATOC and SATOC contract and proposal documentation for proper storage, archiving and disposal.
21. Leads or participates in other duties as assigned.
1. Bachelor's degree in engineering, business, law or a related field.
2. Requires 10+ years of federal proposal management experience, preferably in the engineering, energy management, construction, and/or facility operations industry, with excellent knowledge of building-related systems and services.
3. Demonstrated experience in the preparation of engineering proposals within the federal marketplace preferred.
4. Advanced understanding of Johnson Controls’ capabilities and the conceptual skills to solve important customer problems preferred.
5. Must have solid knowledge of the Federal regulatory, legislative and business environment.
6. Possesses strong project management skills to lead large development efforts with diverse resources.
7. Exhibits a passion to win.
8. Excellent writing, presentation, and communication skills required.
9. Knowledge of Shipley process strongly preferred.
10. Strong conceptual skills essential for developing innovative solution designs.
11. Has excellent business analysis skills used to create compelling business cases.
12. Third-party technical or business certifications related to the Federal market desirable.
13. Possesses solid working knowledge of common computer applications (e.g., MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Project, etc.).
14. Ability to travel up to 15%.
15. Knowledge of Energy Savings Performance Contracts (ESPC) and Utility Energy Service Contracts (UESC) strongly preferred.
16. The ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Secret security clearance may be required. (This involves a background/character, criminal history, employment, and credit check.)