Job Title: Senior Extrusion Engineer Global Plastics (Multi - Site)
Candidate can be located in (Franklin Park, IL/Chicago, IL; Waynesville, NC; Wilson, NC; Chillicothe, MO; Hollister, CA; Exeter, CA OR Yakima, WA)
A senior Extrusion Engineer within the Global Plastics group is responsible for identifying, developing and deploying best in class extrusion platforms and processes. This will include working with vendors, plant staff and other engineering team members to identify next generation extrusion platforms and processes as well as productivity opportunities across all facets of the extrusion manufacturing process from raw material handling through the conversion process to product packaging. A strong understating of the plastic extrusion process and equipment is key. This position supplies direct project management as well as leadership and mentoring for engineering team members and operations personnel. Keeps the safety of themselves and others as the highest priority in all activities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Extrusion Project Management
- Utilizes proven project management methods and skills to plan and execute a full range of project sizes and scopes.
- Manages projects and motivates team members to execute projects on time within budget supplying a quality end product for operations.
- Has strong communication skills and supplies clear and concise written and verbal updates at appropriate intervals.
- Has knowledge of plant systems and is capable of troubleshooting problems and making recommendations for repair or upgrades for existing extrusion lines as well as new system installations.
- Works well with all levels of the organization from operations technical staff through upper management.
Provide Technology Leadership
- In partnership with the business, conducts ongoing assessment of extrusion platforms and systems equipment to identify those that bring productivity and value to Sonoco.
- In conjunction with Sonoco procurement builds strong vendor relations identifying and leveraging vendor technologies and value for Sonoco.
- Role model for the Sonoco technical organization.
Provide Team Leadership
- Contributes to an environment which motivates and engages talent in the engineering organization to achieve desired results.
- Fosters a positive work environment through open communications and an atmosphere of teamwork.
- Provides leadership by example of good work ethics, sound judgement and positive results as well as how to learn from failures.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Results orientation; high levels of personal initiative, energy and ownership for success
- Inquisitive mind; actively keeps abreast of new and developing technologies inside and outside of the industry
- Strong technical skills related to extrusion equipment selection, function and installation
- Experience with new plant startups a plus
- Strong team leadership and ability to work well across teams and in a matrix organization
- Good interpersonal and communication skills; ability to work equally well with peers, superiors, and subordinates
- Strong project management skills; well organized; able to manage multiple projects at a detailed level in various stages of progress
- Good judgment and decision making process
REQUIRED EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- BS degree in an engineering discipline
- 10 years of progressively responsible work experience in extrusion processing and equipment selection and related activities
- Experience in sheet extrusion technology/processes.
- Experience in PET a plus.
- Intimately familiar with the implementation of extrusion processes, equipment and systems
- Proven track record in project management, team building and execution