Universal Creative is the planning and development division of Universal Parks and Resorts™, which is one of the many businesses within NBCUniversal™. We are ideally situated in Orlando, Florida, which has become widely known as the theme park and resort capital of the world. We are responsible for the design, development, and delivery of all resort and theme park concepts for all of Universal vacation destinations worldwide – Universal Orlando Resort, Universal Studios Hollywood, Universal Studios Japan, Universal Studios Singapore, as well as a new destination coming in Beijing, China. Join us if you want to collaborate, innovate, develop, and deliver the most compelling entertainment experiences imaginable that drive growth for the Universal brand around the world.
What sets Universal Creative apart?
We rarely wear suits. We think pop culture is fascinating and newsworthy. We are aware that possibilities are not limited by today’s realities. We know that everyone has good ideas (and the occasional bad one as well). We know that the world is large and varied, and that we touch all of it. We know that most high school guidance counselors don’t know our jobs exist. We know that if this were easy, everyone would be doing it. We know that there is an eclectic assortment of talented people from various professional backgrounds at the heart of Universal Creative. In addition, we embrace the power of cultural diversity and inclusion and continuously strive to maintain a team that is a reflection of our global audience. We are a diverse group, but united by a common goal: to dream and deliver the best possible out-of-home entertainment for people from every walk of life. In order to make that happen, Universal Creative relies on collaboration, hard work, synchronicity, a bit of luck, and a bunch of talented, experienced people who do not let ego and turf stand in the way of brilliance. We depend on a team of people who understand the task, the business implications, and refuse to be defeated by the challenge to fuse fantasy with physics. Universal Creative embraces ‘The Universal Way’ by not just meeting guest expectations, but exceeding them, every time.
JOB SUMMARY: Generate initial project budget estimates for all projects ranging from new Retail, Restaurants and Attractions, Resort Hotels to entirely new Theme Parks. Completes subsequent estimates as the projects progress through design, to compare to budget.
- Collaborates on initial budget estimates for new projects including estimate refinements prepared by the individual project estimators or outside estimating firms.
- Reviews continually evolving design documents and estimates prepared at each stage of the design by the project estimators or outside estimating firms to ensure the projects are tracking on budget. Includes working with project teams located in various cities and countries.
- Performs function of lead estimator for large scopes of work, which requires supervision of in-house or contracted estimating resources, as scope of work indicates.
- Assists project team with contractor change order negotiation.
- Researches market conditions for cost trends and local means and methods (both locally and internationally). Develops location cost factors and escalation factors. Analyze Universal Creative historical costs and disseminate to appropriate year and location. Incorporates current and historic costs into a central database. Develops comparisons for various attractions and non-attraction facilities.
- Creates ‘value engineering’ (VE) components with the project team to mitigate cost overruns.
- Understands and actively participates in Environmental, Health & Safety responsibilities by following established UO policy, procedures, training and Team Member involvement activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
SCOPE: Individual will be responsible for assisting in the development of detailed estimates to support the submittal and approval process for all major capital projects that are managed by Universal Creative.
In addition, this individual will be responsible for collaborating on the development of a comprehensive database from the past projects to assist in the improvement of the accuracy of our project budgeting on all projects.
QUALIFICATIONS: Individual must be capable of presenting cost estimates to upper management positions and third party clients, including the Executive Project Director, Senior Vice President of Attraction Development, and the President of Universal Creative.
EDUCATION:Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Engineer in related business fields is required. Master’s degree in Construction Management or Business Administration preferred.
EXPERIENCE: 5-10 years’ on-site construction and estimating experience on retail, food, hotel, theme parks and themed entertainment projects, knowledge of show and ride estimating and facility impacts required; or equivalent combination of education and experience. 10-15 years’ on-site construction and estimating experience for owners and/or contractors for in the Resort/Entertainment field of commercial construction; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Your talent, skills and experience will be rewarded with a competitive compensation package.