Senior Estimator - Healthcare & Life Sciences
8 - 10 years experience • Construction
At Shawmut, our primary objective is to deliver exceptional service catered to our clients’ specific goals and concerns. Our project teams deliver top quality work through a hands-on, collaborative process while keeping our clients’ best interests our absolute focus at all times. With specialized training and the support of a national company, we foster project teams whose skill and dedication leads to the deliberate, predictable and repeatable constructionexperiences that have attracted and retained the top clients in every market in which we focus. The most memorable constructionexperiences are based on one principle—it’s the people who make the difference. And at Shawmut, we have the very best.
Shawmut Design and Construction is seeking a Senior Estimator with at least 7+ years of construction estimating experience for our Boston office. An integral team member, this person supports the growth of the Healthcare and Life Sciences division. Takes the lead on preconstruction, preparation and presentation of cost/budget to clients and is actively involved in Request for Proposals and formal presentations for project. This role works under the guidance of the Chief Estimator.
The purpose of a Shawmut senior estimator is to ensure that projects are set up properly to be executed to the highest standards on all varieties of projects. Tasks and work need to be completed accurately and on a timely basis to ensure the project is set up for success. This will be accomplished by personal workload and executing the project strategy established by the project team.
Work in partnership with the project manager to plan the job prior to project initiation i.e. general conditions study, procurement schedule, logistics, etc
Develop comprehensive understanding of project strategy and deploy this throughout the estimating process
- Prepare detailed conceptual cost estimates and conceptual cost studies from schematic or feasibility level documentation
- Ensure that the information required to begin the estimating process is accurate and available
Establish the pre-constructionbudget and manage the associated funds
Ensures that the best bids are obtained for each trade, based on the needs of the project
Structure a fari and comprehensive final sub bid process by incorporating all information from previous budgets, by educating all subs on the Shawmut view of the project, including but not limited to detailed written scope of work, logistics, etc. so they are all bidding on the same work
Present information and proposals effectively to clients based on their needs and preferences
Serve as mentor and coach to estimators and assistant estimators
Uphold Shawmut Values and 16 Best Practices
- 7+ years experience in construction estimating, preferably with a general construction company
- Vast knowledge of all trades: scope, time frames/field execution, typical missed scope/exposures
- Demonstrated understanding and knowledge about estimating processes and delivery methods
- Understand MEP systems and components, and be able to scope and analyze MEP bids
- Solid conceptual estimating experience, health care and life science strongly preferred
- Management experience: coaching, feedback delivery, delegating and mentorship
- Demonstrated communication and presentation skills
- Knowledge of contract types and deal structures