Haley and Aldrich is a 600+ person national engineering and environmental consulting firm with creative, technically strong staff who want to work in a collaborative environment to deliver exceptional value to our clients. We look for professionals with a passion for solving even the most complex client problems. This problem-solving ability and opportunity to be a change agent is a vital part of the culture, no matter what level or role a staff member holds.
We are looking to add new talent to our growing team! We are currently seeking a Senior Estimator to work with highly skilled professionals on diverse project teams in a dynamic environment. This is an excellent opportunity to join a growing group and company and get involved in a variety of projects for a diverse range of clients. This is a full-time position located in our Grand Rapids, MI site. Nationwide (virtual) candidates will be considered for the position.
The successful candidate will:
- Prepare cost estimates for product manufacturing, civil and environmental construction projects, or services to aid management in bidding on or determining price of product or service.
- Develop / confirm scope and estimate the project during proposal phase.
- Evaluate bid specifications and drawings, ensuring estimate reflects direct cost and risk items for the project scope.
- Document cost basis, project assumptions, and vendor quotations.
- Confer with design team and subcontractors on changes and adjustments to scope to update cost estimates.
- Transfer project specific knowledge to the project team.
- Support project manager and project controls with estimate information.
- Manage subcontractor quotations to ensure that bids are responsive and received.
- Analyze blueprints and other documentation to prepare time, cost, materials, and labor estimates.
- For design build work, review detailed estimate with design team to identify potential gaps in cost.
- Review final cost to complete versus budgeted cost to complete to improve future estimates
- Confer with engineers, architects, owners, contractors and subcontractors on changes and adjustments to cost estimates.
- Develop scopes and estimate changes in condition.
- Prepare estimates used by management for purposes such as planning, organizing, and scheduling work.
- Prepare cost and expenditure statements and other necessary documentation at regular intervals for the duration of the project.
- Assess cost effectiveness of products, projects or services, tracking actual costs relative to bids as the project develops.
- Set up cost monitoring and reporting systems and procedures.
- Conduct special studies to develop and establish standard hour and related cost data or to effect cost reduction.
- Review material and labor requirements to decide whether it is more cost-effective to produce or purchase components.
- Prepare and maintain a directory of suppliers, contractors and subcontractors.
- Perform site visits and project job walks to record information about access, drainage and topography, and availability of services such as water and electricity.
- Approximately 10 years of Remediation and Heavy Civil Estimating experience
- Construction Management, Civil Engineering Bachelor's Degree (or other with equivalent work experience) with at least 5 to 7 years of successful Heavy Civil Construction Project Management experience
- Strong industry contacts, connections, and knowledge
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in analyzing bid document plans and specifications
- Proficient in HCSS, Prolog, Microsoft Excel, Word, and Project or Primavera scheduling software
- Proficient in project management activities as may be required in addition to estimating
- Proficiency in planning, scheduling, staffing, budgeting, and job costing
- Strong organizational skills are required to maintain proper submittals and communications between contractor and project Owner's engineers