Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
As a leading developer, manufacturer, and global supplier of scientific laboratory products for 100 years, Corning’s Life Sciences segment collaborates with researchers seeking new approaches to increase efficiencies, reduce costs and compress timelines in the drug discovery process. Using unique expertise in the fields of materials science, surface science, optics, biochemistry and biology, the segment provides innovative solutions that improve productivity and enable breakthrough discoveries.
Scope of Position:
In this role, you will be a subject matter expert in automation and equipment processes and drive fundamental understanding across the Corning Life Sciences (CLS) division. You will lead and support automation and equipment projects and processes for division-wide or multi-plant manufacturing projects. Lead and maintain knowledge of the latest technological developments within the automation and equipment industry, while supporting the consistent application of new technology and standard methodologies.
We look for you to develop a strong internal network across all CLS manufacturing and engineering locations, Research and Development, Manufacturing, Technology, and Engineering (MTE), other Corning business units, and key external affiliates to support the delivery of innovative automation and equipment solutions. Participate in the development and implementation of the Division Automation and Equipment Strategy. The initial focus will be on developing new innovative state-of-the-art end of line packaging systems for division-wide applications to enable flexible and cost-effective end-of-line packaging solutions.
You will champion continuous improvement activities, including new technology implementation and fundamental process understanding, in support of cost reduction and quality improvement projects. Champion Engineering Excellence tools (MEE, MIE, SI, PQA) and Engineering Validation Compliance (cGMP). Ensure Corning's Intellectual Property management process is followed and any intellectual property developed as part of a project is properly documented. Consult and advise on projects you are not directly involved in and provide coaching / mentoring to others in the division
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Objectively assess and interpret business, product, and process needs to establish project objectives and scope for well-articulated and executable projects in the areas of automation and equipment engineering that deliver innovative cost-effective solutions.
- Lead and influence the technical direction of multi-discipline, cross-functional project teams working on early to late-stage innovation projects, through concept generation/certification, technology development, detail design / build, and start-up in manufacturing.
- Effectively communicate project updates and status to senior leadership.
- Understand how to integrate custom and commercially available technologies and processes to enable CLS to deliver robust, cost-effective automation and equipment solutions.
- Effectively leverage external system integrators for detail design, build, and integration of early to late stages automation and equipment system implementation.
- Responsible for the overall technical, functional, and operational integrity of concept, design, estimating costs, defining project scope, budget and schedule.
- Create project plans (scope, schedule, cost estimates, project acceptance criteria, etc.) for assigned areas of responsibility.
- Responsible for the identification of project resources necessary to complete the project tasks and coordinate the project team's efforts towards successfully achieving overall project objectives.
- The initial focus will be on developing new innovative state-of-the-art end of line packaging systems for division-wide applications to enable flexible and cost-effective end-of-line packaging solutions. This will be done by identifying state-of-the-art technology, identifying key internal and external resources to deliver the required solutions.
- Coach and mentor engineering personnel as appropriate to build and use skill sets to enhance the project team’s effectiveness.
- Interface with resources across all CLS manufacturing and engineering locations, Research and Development, Manufacturing, Technology, and Engineering (MTE), other Corning business units, and key external affiliates to support the delivery of innovative automation and equipment solutions.
- Ensure all engineering related activities are conducted in accordance with established design and process control procedures.
- Be an advocate and role model for safety within their area of responsibility.
- Understand and follow all Corning, CLS, and industry safety standards.
- Utilize Lean manufacturing principles to reduce manufacturing costs
- Understand and leverage Engineering Excellence tools (MEE, MIE, SI, PQA) and Engineering Validation Compliance (cGMP)
- Consult with others on solving difficult equipment, automation, and engineering-related problems, understanding project-related issues, and general process engineering and process understanding.
- Perform tolerance analysis or error budgets of complex machine systems and assemblies.
- Perform required sizing of machine system components such as bearings, servo motors, linear motions devices, and other mechanical items.
- Investigate prior art and document any Intellectual Property developed as part of the project activities, document project results through internal reporting means, and present the project(s) for review by peers, customers, and managers.
- Coach and mentor others in the area of automation and equipment processes.
- Up to 30%, including International travel.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
- Monday- Friday, standard business hours, 40+ hrs.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering required.
Required Years and Area of Experience:
- Minimum of 10+ years in engineering, automation and equipment design, systems integration, and implementation.
- Subject matter expert in automation and equipment processes and drives fundamental understanding.
- High level of technical knowledge and curiosity in the areas of automation and equipment engineering that will enable unique solutions to technical challenges.
- High level of fundamental understanding of the process and materials to enable the development of cost-effective automation and equipment systems.
- Knowledge of manufacturing methods, systems, production processes, measurements, and machine controls systems
- Demonstrated track record of engineering accomplishments, organizational leadership, and people development.
- Strong Project Management skills.
- Knowledge of engineering tools, CAD (preferably SolidWorks), FEA, Robotics simulation (Fanuc ROBOGUIDE)
Desired Experience / Skills:
- M.S. / Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering
- Knowledge Life Sciences products and technologies.
- Prior experience in a plant or division engineering group.
- Packaging knowledge and experience.
- Performance Excellence training – green belt or higher certification.
- Proficient skills with SolidWorks.
- Project Management training.
- LEAN manufacturing training.
- Working knowledge of controls and instrumentation.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal).
- Demonstrate a strong work ethic.
- Display exemplary personal behavior.
- Respect all levels of the organization.