- Develops and implements programs for monitoring and reporting on asbestos and environmental topics within the specified Application Area.
- Ensures compliance throughout the Eversource System by representing asbestos and environmental field management on project teams.
- Provides asbestos program support by assisting Eversource’s asbestos coordinator with management of asbestos survey and inspection work, which includes project planning, activity tracking, records management, invoice processing, and coordinating work with approved vendors.
- Interfaces with regulators to request Asbestos emergency waivers as needed to support emergent work.
- Coordinates gas main water and pipe waste characterization sampling, management of waste encountered in the field and provides disposal guidance.
- Supports reporting, response and restoration of emergency OHM spill events that occur through accidents, weather related occurrences or other unplanned situations, e.g., gas main water, PCB releases at gate stations, spills from hydraulics/equipment and transformer fluids.
- Works with Operations and other Environmental Groups to characterizes small volumes, i.e. rolloff, of excavated spoils related to gas main replacement.
- Accurately researches and interprets governmental organizations for new rules, regulations, laws and policies applicable to the specific Application Area to assess impacts and implement processes to mitigate impacts.
- Communicates requirements throughout the organization and provides compliance assistance tools.
- Oversees implementation of changes to procedures and processes to minimize hazards and prevent mishaps.
- Coordinates cross-functional support to other EAD Groups, Operations, Construction, Maintenance and Engineering.
- Provides training to Company employees and contractors to ensure they understand asbestos and environmental compliance requirements and obligations.
- Requires general understanding of utility industry, and ability to interact persuasively with all levels of the Company and external environmental agencies. Also requires strong communication and organizational skills. Ability to use PC desktop applications (e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point).
- Strong knowledge of one or more of the following areas: asbestos inspection and remediation, spill reporting and response, hazardous waste management, PCB management, SPCC (Spill Prevention, Control and Countermeasures).
- Experience with Federal environmental laws administered by EPA, OSHA, Departments of Health
- Understanding of State environmental regulations of MA – MCP; MassDEP, and MA DLS.
- Requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental, Applied Science, Engineering or related discipline. focused on the environmental sciences or related disciplines required.
- Five (5) to eight (8) years of utility related technical asbestos and/or environmental experience. Specific environmental experience in Massachusetts and general understanding of Connecticut utility processes preferred.
- Experience in emergency OHM response regulated under state (CT, MA, or NH) and federal waste site cleanup and hazardous waste regulations, and preparation of SPCC Plans.