A great project manager articulates the specific scope of a project to a wide variety of audiences, including why a project is important and how it should be delivered. It is about framing the house while keeping a perfect mental picture of how you will paint the walls. They will work independently, build partnerships, and manage the delicate balance between scope, schedule, and budget. The ideal candidate fully understands interfacing with cross-functional development teams and is someone who can drive best practices in program management. The candidate is also a natural collaborator who can partner with key Katerra business units and functions.
The project manager must be fearless organizers who are ready to work with highly skilled teams to identify and resolve potential risks to the schedule and quality of the project. We are looking for someone who is flexible and can respond quickly, energetically, and enthusiastically to challenges.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Collaborate with building engineering & cross-functional technology and design teams (e.g. Building Science, Advanced Materials, Building Platform Development, Architecture, Manufacturing & Construction) to define project scope and objectives, key milestones, schedules, business cases, and budgets.
- Review project objectives and lead regular engagement with cross-functional stakeholders to ensure projects adapt to meet changes in business needs
- Collaborate with Building Engineering Technical Leads and provide direction on standard operation processes, software, platforms and protocol.
- Establish project management process and maintain an appropriate level of oversight to ensure effective planning, reporting, and leadership engagement. Adapt project management techniques to fit large, long term projects or shorter term and smaller high impact initiatives.
- Assure that daily on-the-job mentoring takes place at all levels.
- Review project progress, course-correct and problem-solve as needed
- Ensure operational excellence on projects
- Coordinate project staffing
- Track key milestones and anticipate potential risks & mitigate
- Assist Director of Operations in Project Reviews and manpower utilization monthly.
- Provides input and executes the strategic plan developed by Director of Operations
- Conduct weekly level meetings in order to facilitate the flow of information with other lead managers.
- Manage a portfolio or projects and deeply engage on individual projects as needed.
- Ensure leadership and cross-functional stakeholders receive regular updates and appropriate escalations.
- Develop reports to track planning, approvals, budgets, scheduling, issues, risks and overall status.
- Oversee the creation of new processes and tools as necessary to support additional needs and requirements of a fast-growing business.
- Provides leadership and foster an environment of a strong work ethic by being an example in the office.
- Reports to the Director of Engineering Operations
Required Skills & Experience
- BA/BS degree in an engineering
- 10+ years in project management / program management / operations management in design or services-oriented industries
- Strive to set a good example and influence productive culture: Team Player and highly collaborative personality. Positive attitude with ability to work well with others. Open communicator with refined soft skills. Curiosity to learn outside of what surrounds you.
- Ability to be proactive, productive and add value in a flexible environment.
- Experience with managing construction or manufacturing projects; projects that involve technology, or interacting with built environment.
- Proficient with Excel and Microsoft, adaptable and quick to learn other software applications for reporting, time tracking, and document organization.
- Superb organizational skills and a proven track record of managing projects in a transparent and well-documented manner.
- Experience coordinating and scheduling multiple projects throughout the entire lifecycle.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities in an ambiguous, busy, and contradictory environment, and deliver outstanding results in a timely manner.
- Outstanding organizational, multi-tasking, and prioritization abilities; an excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to understand building construction subjects and/or emerging technologies, and their relevance to the marketplace.
- Ability to work well and exert influence as a member of a highly integrated team composed of both technical and non-technical members.
- Able to prepare project reports, chair and prepare meeting meetings, and provide a path forward for groups of multiple disciplines
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Managed an engineering department operation in the past.
- PMP and/or other demonstrated expertise in project management
- MBA and/or other demonstrated expertise in business
- A strong background in project management for design & services products may be helpful for this role.