What You’ll Do
You will build and lead the Tools Foundation organization comprising one or more teams of diverse, smart, and driven platform engineers. We’re looking for a leader who can manage, mentor and grow our engineering team.
You will partner with product management and your technical leads to build a high-value roadmap of innovation for your organization. You will partner with recruiting to hire engineers for your team. You will put mechanisms in place to ensure your org delivers results. You will lead by example to build your organizational culture in keeping with Twitters culture. You will partner with technical leads and guide engineers with your technical expertise by contributing to design reviews and ideation. You will mentor, coach and grow your engineers.
You will work with our engineering leaders to innovate and build a platform that enables tool innovation and efficiency. Your responsibilities will include:
- Recruitment: Help hire platform and full-stack engineers - help with sourcing and selling to candidates as well as vetting them for the team. Provide innovative solutions for both attracting and retaining top talent.
- Mentoring: Mentor the professional development of each direct report through personal and performance management. Establish regular 1:1s with direct reports. Craft individual improvement/goal plans with each direct report and ensure that they receive regular, documented feedback.
- Planning / Alignment: Plan and collaborate with other teams at Twitter in delivering impactful changes, whilst working together with our Trust & Safety, Legal, and Service partners.
- Provide oversight: Work with engineers to understand how everything fits together and how best to deliver meaningful impact.
- Execution: Make decisions which balance between immediate impact and long-term bets, as well as managing resourcing and prioritisation.
- Relationship management: Help with managing relationships between other teams in Health which you’ll partner with to deliver impact.
- Cross functional management: Work closely with other teams from across the company to deliver impactful projects which may involve multiple disciplines. Also work with other managers in the office to build upon the office culture and ensure a healthy workplace environment.
- You are a leader and strong people manager looking to serve the team and achieve team goals.
- You have prior experience as a software engineer building and operating platform services, libraries, and components.
- You are a strong source of engineering talent and are comfortable closing applicants for your team and the business.
- You are a coach who hires, develops and retains exceptional engineers.
- You have technical depth in platform development and see the “big picture”. You understand the differences in technical disciplines and which problems are for the platform to solve and which are not.
- You are up to date with recent trends in platform and service development.
- You have a proven execution track record that is customer-centric in prioritization - looking to deliver projects that serve the company’s needs and understand the impact.
- You are a good communicator with clear and concise, active listening and empathy skills.
- You collaborate well with teams with different backgrounds / expertise / functions.
- You bring a strong perspective that motivates engineers to develop simple, pragmatic solutions to complex problems.
- You have the technical experience to win respect from engineers and technical leaders and are comfortable diving into the fray to help drive resolution.
- Previously managed 15+ engineers and have been responsible for their career growth.
- Computer science background strongly preferred; MS or equivalent work experience a plus.
- 5+ years of experience as a hands engineer delivering large scale, production quality services and features
- Understand cost of software development / tech debt and long-term maintenance.
- Experience driving impact through cross-functional leadership.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical abilities.
- You have a get stuff done attitude, have great positive energy, and thrive in a fast paced environment.
- You are passionate about technology and can keep up with the latest developments.
- You have a respectful, collaborative approach that earns the trust of your peers and stakeholders.
- You invest in the learning and growth of the people you lead.
- You communicate effectively.