Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Senior Thermal Engineer
What You’ll Do:
- Thermal design and analysis of spacecraft and/or precision aerospace electro-mechanical, and/or opto-mechanical flight hardware systems, antenna communication systems, tactical video systems, components and/or ground support equipment from concept through detail design.
- Computation of heat transfer coefficients, temperature and heat flow calculations; steady state and transient.
- Responsible for creating effective plans, doing cost estimating, and managing efforts of the thermal design team.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering, with emphasis in Fluids and Heat Transfer, plus 8 or more years of related experience is required. Advanced degree is preferred.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master's Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degreemust be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- A current Top Secret clearance with a current favorable Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) is required.
- Must work effectively with customer counterparts.
- Working knowledge of thermal, radiation, and convection software.
- Advance thermal math modeling using Thermal Desktop, TSS, ANSYS Mechanical, CFD, TAK2000, SINDA, and IDEAS/TMG software tools is a plus.
- Working knowledge and experience using the CAD software Solid Works.
- Experience in spacecraft and/or precision aerospace electro-mechanical, and/or opto-mechanical flight hardware systems, antenna communication systems, tactical video systems, components and/or ground support equipment thermal design.
- Demonstrated creativity in thermal engineering design and analysis.
- Demonstrated successful lead/supervisory experience of thermal engineering activities.
- Prior participation in written and/or oral proposal activities for NASA and DoD programs.
- Strong verbal and written skills.
- Able to work in a fast paced, team environment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.