A current, active TS/SCI security clearance is required.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn , Facebook , Twitter or Instagram .
The Systems Engineering Solutions Strategic Business Unit provides advanced systems engineering and technology applications for intelligence and information enterprises. These applications and solutions deliver enterprise data management, data analytics, modeling and simulation, and technology assessment capabilities that are used to create products that offer actionable information in support of warfighters and decision makers. Senior Engineer - System Architect What You'll Do:
What You'll Need:
- Develop and implement Ball ground system technology roadmap that enhances core ground systems competencies and advances capabilities including processing architectures, GEOINT applications, cloud-computing infrastructures, data science and automated analytics technologies, and development processes
- Innovate Ball DevSecOps processes, particularly to standardize best practices across programs and provide reliable and portable technologies and approaches for cloud and classified environments
- Oversee, coordinate, and lead technical activities to design, develop, and maintain intelligence and defense software systems
- Design/develop/modify software for microservices and related systems. Decompose designs into subcomponents and tasks to be assigned to members of the team. Research and analyze new libraries, technologies and tools that may be utilized to meet program requirements. Perform full software life cycle functions including software/firmware requirements, architecture, design, code, test, integration, and documentation.
- Support system engineering on one or multiple programs of varying complexity including managing functional and system requirements and interfaces; providing inputs to hardware specifications and procurement; leading architecture and software design; leading Agile software development processes; providing oversight for independent Sprint, regression, and acceptance testing; leading system deployment activities; overseeing development of system and training documentation; leading troubleshooting of operational issues; interfacing with software and hardware engineering teams, business management team, customers, and system users
- Serve as organizational spokesperson, primary customer interface, and advisor on one or more programs
- Develop strong customer relationships, understand customer needs, and connect needs with Ball's technology roadmap during capture and execution. Establish and nurture necessary industry partnerships to effectively compete for and execute programs
- Support proposal development (strategies, management, writing, reviews) to successfully capture new defense and intelligence business, particularly in the ground processing functional area
- Collaborate closely with Ball Aerospace personnel in our Colorado and National Capital Area (NCA) offices
- Collaborate with employees and outside customers at all levels, be able and willing to contribute wherever and however needed, lead and guide program activities, and supervise and mentor team members
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the SBU/SSU and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level related degree, i.e., Master's Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of related experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Master's degree with eight years or PhD with six years of experience and a Top Secret clearance preferred.
- Related experience includes the research, design, development, and deployment of ground systems, payload processing and exploitation, command and control, and/or mission architectures for the DoD and/or IC. Experience with agile development and DevOps practices is desired
- Strong technical competence in one or more of the following areas: Enterprise IT systems, software development, ground processing frameworks, command and control for ISR systems and sensors, EO technology and payloads, RF technology and payloads, USG pathfinder systems, and ISR mission CONOPs
- Experience with distributed computing and large-scale systems
- Experience with IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS technologies
- Demonstrated ability to lead proposals for DoD and/or IC including strong technical writing skills
- Experience with the full system engineering, software development, and tech maturation life cycles
- Experience leading Agile SCRUM development
- Training or experience with Model-Based Systems Engineering tools is strongly desired
- Strong communication through formal and informal presentations and documentation
- Strong Science and Math foundation
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
- Occasional out of state travel and local commute between Ball and customer facilities will be required
#LI-SMOOT Current Clearance Required:
Verification that your current security clearance or government customer access meets the requirement for this position will be required.
Relocation for this position is not available.US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.