Senior Engineer - Spacecraft Electrical Systems Engineer
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
Senior Engineer – Spacecraft Electrical Systems Engineer
Provide senior level electrical engineering skills, knowledge, and technical leadership to support space-based remote sensing spacecraft bus programs.
What You’ll Do:
- Assess spacecraft electrical system technology and architecture definition.
- Perform electrical system conceptual development, trade studies and electrical subsystem level requirements flow-down (analysis and allocation).
- Provide technical oversight of subsystem designs to ensure the spacecraft electrical system is compliant and verifiable at the spacecraft bus level. Subsystems include power management, command & data handling, attitude determination and control, RF Telecom and electrical harnessing.
- Evaluate new internal electrical technology development and upgrades for the bus electrical system architecture and implement design solutions for maximum SWaP value.
- Interface with Systems Engineering, Integration and Test, and other engineering disciplines in leading the development of electrical concepts, trade studies, architectures, concepts for operations and plans for verification/validation.
- Provide guidance in defining and implementing the test and verification methodologies.
- Lead resolution of hardware anomalies at the system level and determine root cause and corrective action.
- Contribute to proposal efforts for spacecraft buses.
- Evaluate size, weight, and power trades.
- Identify and mitigate technical risks early in the design phase.
- Present to customer and to team members in written and verbal communication.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years of related experience.
- Knowledge of electronics used for power distribution, power switching, command and data handling and RF Communications systems.
- Knowledge of grounding architectures for low noise systems.
- Knowledge of harnessing to meet voltage drop, power and signal integrity requirements.
- Knowledge of EMI/EMC/ESD design and test requirements for aerospace hardware.
- Experience with spacecraft level grounding, EMI/EMC/ESD and electrical interface control definitions.
- Development experience with single string and redundant electrical systems.
- Experience with design trades, design concepts, system specifications, system analyses and failure reporting.
- Detailed design experience with "space flight qualified" electronics.
- Analytical experience including FMECA, WCA, Reliability, RCCA, voltage drop and derating.
- Expertise in developing Interface Control Drawings, Specifications, design and analysis documentation.
- Experience with electrical requirements analysis and allocation, electrical subsystem concept development/trade studies, design leadership, and space hardware development.
- Exceptional written communication skills, strong presentation skills and the ability to lead group discussions with customers and team members.
- Technical design team leadership experience.
- Experience with camera systems is preferred but not required.
- Experience in high speed digital system architectures, closed-loop control systems, integration and test.
- Experience in developing electrical systems for classified programs.
- Experience with embedded processor-based electronics architecture.
- Understanding of redundant hardware/software architectures and fault tolerance design.
- Current Top Secret/SCI security clearance preferred but not required.
- In addition to the typical educational and experience requirements, a demonstrated capability to adequately perform the essential functions and responsibilities of the position and exhibit the skills and competencies of the grade level should be considered. Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, clean room or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful applicant for this position must be eligible to obtain a DoD clearance. A current DoD clearance is not required to be eligible for this position, however the successful applicant will be required to obtain a DoD clearance within a reasonable time after the offer is extended and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance. * US Citizenship is Required