The Senior Quality Engineer shall support the business in the areas of new product development, lean implementation, process capability improvement, daily production support, project management, technical data interpretation/analysis (engineering drawings, specifications, technical publications, component maintenance manuals, purchase orders, etc.), and quality system management.
- Interface with customer Quality representatives on all Quality-related issues and activities.
- Drive manufacturing process capability improvements through variation reduction, error-proofing, and implementation of statistical process control.
- Collect and analyze quality data to identify and prioritize opportunities for improvement of products and processes.
- Provide leadership on problem solving teams to drive root cause analysis and Corrective/Preventive Action (CAPA) plans.
- Represent Quality department on the New Product Introduction (NPI) teams. Perform contract review and drive design-for-quality activities.
- Review and approve First Article Inspection reports per AS9102.
- Perform Purchase Order review for existing and legacy programs.
- Review customer Source Control Drawings, Specifications, and Quality requirements.
- Manage major program manufacturing process qualification.
- Support Supplier Quality Engineering for supplier quality development.
- Validate and respond to Corrective and Preventive Action Requests (CAR/PAR) from both internal and external customers.
- Witness the tear down and evaluation of the customer-returned products in the MRO area.
- Participate on Material Review Board (MRB) and Configuration Control Board (CCB) processes.
- Develop process flow charts/diagrams and Process Failure Mode Effects Analysis (PFMEA).
- Create statistically valid control plans for manufacturing processes.
- Use lean and six sigma tools to drive process and product variation reduction.
- Conduct and participate in the internal and external quality system, process, and product audits.
- Provide technical leadership to inspection team members.
- Support product/process certifications and approvals.
- Develops, monitors and analyzes product/process trend data in order to optimize manufacturing performance and minimize product and process variability and associated production costs.
- Develops and establishes problem/process root cause and definitive corrective action plans necessary to reduce Scrap, Rework and Repair costs.
- Coordinates / makes modifications to existing procedures, production processes, engineering specifications, and inspection techniques/plans/procedures. Monitors results necessary to validate improvements.
- Develops product quality plans and inspection methodologies.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by Quality Management.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Experience: Minimum of 8 years of progressive experience in aerospace quality and manufacturing. Experience in blueprint reading and Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T). Experience with various raw materials and manufacturing and quality inspection processes (machining, heat treating, anodizing, painting, NDT, etc.). Experience with flight critical components/systems is a plus.
- High ethical standards. Models and supports organization's goals and values; adapts to changing conditions; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles.
- Strong business/technical writing, presentation, planning, problem solving, organizational, project management and decision-making skills.
- Knowledge of government contract requirements.
- Knowledge of major aerospace prime customer requirements.
- Familiar with FAA Repair Station regulations and requirements.
- Six sigma tools and methodology; green belt or black belt experience is a plus.
- Lean manufacturing practices to improve product/process quality.
- Excellent problem solving skills aimed at identifying and correcting the root causes of problems
- Demonstrated working knowledge of problem solving tools: 5-Whys, Failure mode and effects analysis, 8-D, Pareto analysis, fault tree analysis, and Ishikawa diagrams.
- Aerospace Quality Management Systems: ISO 9001, AS9100, AS9110, FAR 21, FAR 145, and Nadcap requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to create and implement statistically valid control plans and audit plans
- Working knowledge of inspection metrology and proper application of automated measuring equipment
- Excellent working knowledge of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing
- Ability to create and/or review failure analysis reports and perform dimensional tolerance stack up analyses
- Experience in industrialization processes such as PPAP, PVI (DVI) with FAI per AS9102
Thorough knowledge of Word, Excel, Power Point, Visio, Project, and other application software
Education: Bachelor of Science degree in technical discipline, ASQ or extensive verifiable experience in lieu of degree. Masters of Science is a plus.