Senior Engineer - Protection
SEL Engineering Services, Inc. (SEL-ES) seeks a detail oriented and experienced Senior Protection Engineer with a skill set and passion for the protection of power systems. You will have the opportunity to use your 15 or more years system protection experience to help grow our Engineering Services department. This collaborative individual will use their leadership aptitude to provide technical support to engineers and customers in the power industry and will be a valuable asset to our team!
Senior Engineer – Protection
- Maintain an expert and detailed level of knowledge and application experience of SEL equipment and solutions for electric power system protection, communication, design and automation.
- Researches and innovates new system, solutions and processes.
- Lead in performing eventreport analysis, product test schemes, protection scheme design, and relay coordination services.
- Prepare and present successful proposals for SEL equipment, services, and systems.
- Act as a primary customer contact on technical matters.
- Complete assigned work within agreed upon schedule and budget at the highest level of quality.
- Lead in training and assisting customers with the creation, design, configuration, validation, review, installation, commissioning, and operation of protection systems
- Provide support for other SEL marketing, sales, application engineering, and development activities.
- Works on a major project or several projects of significant scope with complex features.
- Demonstrates a high degree of creativity, and foresight. Receives general direction.
- Publish and present papers on innovative power system protection solutions to industry technical meetings and conferences.
- May supervise several supervisors or team leaders.
- Acts as a mentor to engineers, specialists and technicians.
- Plans, reviews and coordinates detailed aspects of the engineering work.
- Reviews and approves scopes, budgets, and schedules for assignments.
- Responsible for environmental, health and safety leadership, maintaining a safe workplace, safety awareness and training, accident investigations and reporting, and implementing safe and environmentally sound work practices.
- Continuously identify, measure, and improve processes.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BS degree and/or MS in ElectricalEngineering or an applicable discipline
- Professional Engineers License
- Minimum 15years working knowledge and experience of electric power systems, protection or automation practices and philosophies or other equivalent transferable knowledge and industry experience
- Expert knowledge of protective relay or automation applications
- Excellent technical training and skills
- Willingness to travel up to 30% of the time
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Strong writing, documentation, and speaking skills
- Ability to learn new skills and assume new responsibilities
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment
- Background check results satisfactory to SEL
- Negative drug test result(s)
- Supervisory experience
- Electrical utility, consulting, or system integrator experience
- Extensive experience in power system modeling and stability studies
- Working knowledge of Vision or other PM Tracking Software