Job Description Summary
Systems engineering is a cross-functional engineering discipline centered on an approach, mindset, and process.
All activities that consider both the business and the technical needs of the customers with the goal of providing a quality product that meets the user’s needs.
The discipline that executes a robust process of design, creation, and optimization of systems, consisting of identification and quantification of system requirements, creation of alternate system design concepts, performance of design trade studies, selection and implementation of the best designs and verification that the design is properly integrated and executed. Process that proceeds from concept to production to operation. This role contributes to the overall strategy of the business within the Systems Engineering area.
Responsible for systems engineering activities that support:
- GE's fleet of BWRs including the BWRX-300 Small Modular Reactor (SMR) and/or
- Gen-IV reactor technologies including Natrium and ARC sodium fast reactors (SFRs).
Primary design focus areas for our Mechanical Systems teams include:
- BWR Mechanical Nuclear Island (MNI) Primary Systems
- BWR Mechanical Nuclear Island Support Systems (MNISS)
- BWR Mechanical Balance of Plant (BOP) and Turbine Island (TI) Systems
- BWR HVAC & Fire Protection
- Gen-IV Reactor Mechanical Systems.
- Provide technical guidance and leadership, oversee project scheduling and resource planning, develop talent through mentorship, and act as the point-of-contact between your engineering team and both internal and external customers.
- Perform system design activities including: system design specifications, piping and instrument diagrams (P&IDs), logic diagrams, process flow calculations and diagrams, hydraulic resistance calculations, equipment sizing, FMEA evaluations, and thermodynamic and heat/fluid flow transfer.
- Performs system design activities including: Main Turbine Design, Mechanical System Design, Fire Protection Design, HVAC design, and site construction along with the ability to teach and set standard practices within the Balance of Plant systems.
- Responsible for analysis and design work supporting system requirements and specifications.
- Conducts component and product integration. All activities that span multiple components and products and are concerned with how to integrate for maximum performance and operability.
- Be a key member of the Systems Engineering leadership team and specifically responsible for all technical and engineering deliverables needed to support reactor designs.
- Plan / develop technical and management processes to improve both team and customer productivity.
- Liaise with customers, in partnership with engineering leadership and Project Management.
- Interface with cross-functional teams and departments necessary to complete assigned system design activities.
- Improve areas of project execution and department management through lean methodology and Design to Cost principles.
- Support development efforts for new products and new technology.
- Responsible to undertake the necessary corrective and preventive actions resulting from Quality noncompliance monitoring and audit programs.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Nuclear Engineering, or other relevant Engineering degree from an accredited university or college.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in an Engineering role.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in mechanical system design activities including but not limited to development of process flow diagrams, thermodynamic and heat/fluid flow transfer calculations, engineering specifications, etc.
- Ability to effectively function in a dynamic design environment and manage the demands of multiple tasks and projects, while maintaining an uncompromised commitment to personal and nuclear safety principles
- Master’s degree or PhD in an engineering or technical discipline.
- SRO license qualifications or plant experience desired.
- Strong Leadership skills.
- Knowledge of working within a regulated environment (nuclear).
- Knowledge of quality standards and systems (e.g., NQA-1 and ISO 9000).
- Experience and/or interest in nuclear power industry.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and cope under pressure.
- Relocation to Wilmington, NC is strongly preferred.
The salary range for this position is $108k-165k. The specific salary offered to a candidate may be influenced by a variety of factors including the candidate’s experience, their education, and the work location. In addition, this position is eligible for a performance bonus. This role contributes to the overall strategy of the business within the Systems Engineering area.
Available health and welfare benefits include healthcare, prescription drug, dental, and vision coverage; savings account options (such as a Health Care Flexible Savings Account, Health Reimbursement Account, Limited Purpose Flexible Spending Account, and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account); and an employee assistance program. Additional benefits include a defined contribution 401(k) plan, employee life insurance, optional dependent life insurance, employee accidental death or dismemberment insurance coverage, salary continuance program benefits for disability, optional long-term disability, pre-tax transportation/commuter program, paid holidays, paid time off, parental leave, a layoff plan for salaried employees, tuition reimbursement program, use of Cariloop, adoption assistance, optional identity theft prevention insurance, optional personal legal assistance, and optional personal excess liability insurance.
This role is restricted to U.S. persons (i.e., U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and other protected individuals under the Immigration and Naturalization Act, 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)) due to access to export-controlled technology. GE will require proof of status prior to employment.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable).
Relocation Assistance Provided: Yes
#LI-Remote - This is a remote position
GE (NYSE:GE) rises to the challenge of building a world that works. For more than 125 years, GE has invented the future of industry, and today the company’s dedicated team, leading technology, and global reach and capabilities help the world work more efficiently, reliably, and safely. GE’s people are diverse and dedicated, operating with the highest level of integrity and focus to fulfill GE’s mission and deliver for its customers.