We are seeking an experienced, high caliber Systems Engineer to support systems engineering activities such as system design, requirement solicitation, risk assessment, verification and bench testing for implantable medical devices. Experience with product development life cycle including requirement solicitation, functional decomposition, and verification required. Experience developing requirements and designs for MRI compatible devices strongly preferred.
Accountability this role will have on Abbott:
- Accountable for providing technical expertise in support delivering entire programs or complex, significant portions of programs with some level of novelty.
- Accountable for organizing and managing work, investigating issues, defining behaviors, leading other in the executing of work, applying expertise and validating designs and products for systems.
- Accountable for supporting product development efforts as a key member of program teams by leading systems engineering tasks defining, developing or validating a smaller program or several features on a major program.
- Accountable for applying an expert understanding of applications, customer needs to be addressed, behaviors and architected solutions to streamline product development in addition to ensuring product quality.
Impact this role will have on Abbott:
- Support tasks within a larger effort such as definition, verification or product development of a system, and drives them to on-time, high quality completion.
- Support system level verification against requirements. Creates test plans, procedures and reports, reviews the material with cross-functional team, performs and analyzes system set up, and conducts verification and validation activities.
- Gathers and analyzes input requirements for medical devices, supporting instrumentation/serviceinfrastructure, and translates these into specific system requirements/interfacespecifications. Participates in broad cross-functional review of work output. Updates and maintains feature specifications for multiple major projects and may support additional minor projects.
- Identifies and resolves issues, escalating as appropriate.
- Synthesizes all gathered information together with technical and regulatory constraints in order to define a system and its behavior resulting in defining a system specification.
- Assists in determining clinical priorities for new products.
- Performs technical planning and performance evaluation studies, conducts technology assessment activities, analyzes system integration issues, generates initial baseline interface specifications, estimates costs and risk, and evaluates customer satisfaction through testing (alpha and beta), analysis and studies.
- Evaluates prototypes formally and informally through structured and ad hoc testing. Test aspects of new projects or algorithms to evaluate prototypes and validate output to meet intended use requirements.
- Provides input into the development of clinical system validation plans and the conduct of those tests.
- Conduct component integration testing and end-to-end verification testing to ensure that the system meets the requirements.
Your experience(s), education and knowledge will further expand Abbott’s marketplace success:
- Bachelor of Science or advanced degree (MS or PhD) in Mechanical or Bio Medical degreepreferred. Advanced degreepreferred
- Minimum of 5+ years of progressively more responsible work experience in R&D product development.
- Strong technical background with solid understanding of engineering discipline fundamentals in multiple areas (systems, systems test, electrical, mechanical, and MRI preferred.
- MRI experience (for developing requirements and designs for MRI compatible devices) strongly preferred.