Join ABB and work in a team that is dedicated to creating a future where innovative digital technologies allow greater access to cleaner energy.
ABB Installation Products provide customers with engineered installation and safety solutions, which are easier to design, install and maintain - providing sustainable and superior performance for continuous operation throughout their life span.
Our R&D engineers and scientists develop breakthrough technologies that change the way the world works and industries do business. We constantly push the limits of convention, while retaining our focus on delivering solid returns for our customers and shareholders.
ABB is seeking a Senior Engineer-Injection Mold Design for its Memphis, Tennessee location. As a key member of our Advanced Technology R&D Team, you'll help us maintain and grow ABB's leadership position in Electrification Installation Products (ELIP) core plastics technologies. As we accelerate manufacturing technologies to the next generation of best-in-class status, you will be responsible for providing injection molding subject matter expertise and oversight to new product development, optimization of throughput of existing products, process & technology development and tool validation.
- Working closely with product development teams, Advanced Technology R&D engineers, and production leaders, you'll initiate and lead strategic plastic molding projects
- As a SME in mold design, you'll advise on all processing areas including mold design (injection and compression), mold-flow, high cavitation / fast cycle time molds, tooling development, tooling DFM and mold maintenance
- Support new product development in the DFM of CAD models, and material and performance requirements
- Develop and optimize production molding processes, equipment and technologies
- Qualify new molds, machines and processes and support Production Part Approval Process (PPAP's)
- Evaluate new and current polymer/compound formulations to improve productivity, quality and cost
- Conduct investigations to determine root cause of failures/non-conformances and propose recommendations to resolve issues
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering (Plastics, Materials, Mechanical) is required with 8 or more years of industry experience in design of plastic injection molds, hot runners, extraction tooling, degators, and part separators and part DFM
- Must possess strong knowledge in Scientific Molding and analysis tools including Moldflow.
- Extensive technical expertise and application of engineering principles, concepts and theory; Knowledge in polymer characterization, molding processes and product validation.
- Demonstrated ability to understand the design and development of plastic components, insert/over molded parts and assemblies
- Experience in project management including, planning, scheduling, assigning actions/tasks, and setting deliverables, and time completion commitments
- Hands-on experience in 3D modeling (Pro E or Creo) is preferred
- Background in Lean / Six Sigma Principles (Kaizen Events and 5S) strongly preferred
- RJG Master Molder II certification is a plus
- Candidates must already have a work authorization that allows them to work for ABB in United States