Senior Engineer- Fire and Emergency Management
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Sr Engineer to support Fire and Emergency Management RDT&E. This position is located on-site at Tyndall Air Force Base, near Panama City, FL.
The successful candidate will provide technical guidance and leadership to team of scientist and engineers to support Fire and Emergency Services RDT&E in support of USAF firefighter requirements, and existing and emerging technical gaps. Active areas of research include, but are not limited to:
- Firefighting agent design
- Personal protective equipment
- Detection and tracking
- Agent dispersal techniques and equipment
- New fire suppression agents and technologies
- Crash rescue and extrication
- Combustion science
- Extremetemperature firefighting
- Intumescent materials
- Computer modeling and simulation
- Automated firefighting
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- MSdegree in mechanicalengineering and at least 8years of RDT&E experience since graduation. A PhD degree in mechanicalengineering or a field of engineering relevant to mechanicalengineering or FES with at least 5 years of RDT&E experience are acceptable
- Specific experience related to design, test and evaluation of fluid and control systems as they relate to fire and emergency services is required.
- A minimum of three years related experience in both 3-D and 2-D design of mechanical systems with some experience in drafting and design of structural systems using either AutoCAD Inventor or Solidworks is required.
- Applies multidisciplinary technical skills, compliance, knowledge to design research studies, determine appropriate analysis methods, identify problems, and develop and implement solutions to complex problems.
- Performs highly complex assignments by compiling and evaluating design and test data, preparing technical specifications, analyzing technical data to determine appropriate limits and variables for product, process, or materials specifications.
- Analyzes and interprets complex data.
- Takes a broad perspective to identify innovative solutions. Prepares and presents advanced technical reports and presentations to client, both formal and informal.
- Develops testing new methods that improve process or quality.
- Assists lower level staff in resolving analysis problems
- Must have experience in preparing research proposals and plans, writing technical papers, executing RDT&E activities, and guiding junior team members responsible for executing RDT&E activities.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a secret government security clearance.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
“Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.”