$80K — $100K *
The Senior Electrical Design Engineer serve a lead role in the conceptualization and development of new technologies and products for AC and DC power processing. They provide expertise in the implementation of emerging technologies, and perform duties designing the power and control hardware content for the realization of new product concepts.
Roles & Responsibilities
This position has responsibility for:
• Innovate new technologies and methodologies in advanced power processing and controls.
• Develop high-level product architectures, power converter topologies, and analog/digital controls infrastructure.
• Provide technical expertise in the areas of power conversion, magnetics, analog/digital controls, modeling and simulation. Design power converters, interface circuits, and controls, at the system and circuit level, as utilized in high-performance programmable AC and DC power products.
• Participate with project teams throughout the development cycle in the design, documentation, and release of new products. Provide technical leadership to coordinate work of other engineers/designers in associated disciplines: mechanical packaging, thermal design, PWB design, digital hardware and firmware design.
• Oversee fabrication, troubleshooting, and verification testing of prototypes throughout the development cycle. Generate test plans, procedures, and summary reports for product validation testing, including compliance with regulatory agency standards.
• Participate in structured, cross-functional product development projects, working within constraints of program schedule, budget, and goals, and ensuring appropriate balance of product reliability, specification performance, and cost.
In order to perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Critical Thinking: Skilled at finding logical flaws in arguments and plans; identifies problems and solutions that others might miss; provides detailed insight and constructive criticism into problems and complex situations
• Working with Ambiguity: Achieves forward progress in the face of poorly defined situations and/or unclear goals; able to work effectively with limited or partial information
• Displaying Technical Expertise: Keeps his/her technical skills current; effectively applies specialized knowledge and skills to perform work tasks; understands and masters the technical skills, knowledge, and tasks associated with his/her job; shares technical expertise with others
• Driving for Results: Aggressively pursues challenging goals and objectives; will to put in considerable time and effort to accomplish objectives; takes a highly focused, goal driven approach toward work
• Making Accurate Judgments and Decisions: Bases decisions on a systematic review of relevant facts and information; avoids making assumptions or rushing to judgment; provides clear rationale for decisions
Minimum Qualifications (Experience and Skills)
• Minimum of 5 years of experience relevant to the design of power conversion products.
• Proficiency in design of high-frequency, switched-mode power conversion; strong skills in soft-switching and resonant topologies are preferred.
• Proficiency in design of analog circuits, having high accuracy and stability, using analytically based design methodologies.
• Proficiency in feedback control theory, with the ability to correlate product performance requirements with feedback control loop implementation.
• Proficiency in magnetic design: materials selection, core/winding optimization, thermal design, modeling, and practical manufacturing techniques.
• Competency in high-frequency design techniques for signal integrity, PWB layout, system interface, and EMI control.
• Competency in the utilization of computer software (MatLab, Simulink, PSpice, Mathcad, Excel) in the design process of power and control circuits for schematic capture, modeling and simulation, mathematical analysis, and data manipulation.
• Competency in design of electronic assemblies: components packaging, environmental constraints, and design for manufacturability, testability, and serviceability.
• Experienced in digital hardware design as applied to power conversion, including ADC/DAC signal conversion, microcontrollers and programmable logic devices, and high-speed digital communications.
• Knowledgeable of design requirements for compliance with domestic and international standards for safety and electromagnetic compatibility.
• Knowledgeable of real-time, embedded digital control systems is preferred: digital control techniques for power conversion based on DSPs and FPGAs, firmware-implemented control algorithms, high-speed data acquisition, instrumentation buses and protocols for communications, control, and programming.
• Good interpersonal skills, written and oral communication skills, and the ability to work cooperatively in a team environment.
• BS in Electrical Engineering; MSEE preferred
Valid through: 12/7/2020