Job Description Summary
As a Senior Engineer of Electric Power Systems, you will contribute and lead development of advanced electrical power & energy systems and components used primarily in utility applications. You will engage with and support several GE businesses including GE Power and GE Renewable Energy as well as several United States government customers and partners. You will also be encouraged to explore new applications which are tied with other GE Industrial businesses or revolutionary ideas which have not found a home in a GE business yet.Job Description
Essential Responsibilities :
- The Electric Power Systems team performs advanced, leading-edge research in a variety of electric power system areas. We focus on technology that enables more reliable and efficient power generation, transmission & distribution. Our major customers include GE Power, GE Renewable Energy, US Dept. of Energy, and the US Dept. of Defense.
- Opportunities will exist to lead technology development in a wide-range of areas including the integration of renewable energy technologies such as wind and solar, WAMS, HVDC, distribution automation, power system protection, and microgrids. Many of these project collaborations are required within the internal organization by actively working on system related aspects with the electrical machines, power electronics, and electrical propulsion and energy storage teams.
As a Senior Engineer - Electric Power Systems, you will:
- Work independently as well as guide development of new technologies and capabilities for GE's power generation, transmission, distribution and end-user product offerings by analyzing system requirements and needs to be translated into existing and new products.
- Shaping of new proposal areas with GE businesses as well as multiple government agencies, universities and national laboratories. Contribute and lead proposal teams as Principal Investigators or as a team member.
- Participate in the development of algorithms to aggregate distributed energy resources (DERs) to provide services to the grid in a microgrid or virtual power plant configuration.
- Develop techniques to efficiently assess the impact of DERs on the grid and develop mitigation strategies.
- Adapt modern distribution automation and management systems for operation with DERs.
- Guide development of electrical system requirements into projects related to power electronics, electrical machines, propulsion system, energy storage systems, etc.
- Lead multi-disciplinary project teams and provide power system analysis expertise in areas such as real-time modeling, simulation, network modeling, system analysis, protection, transient stability analysis, grid codes, Smart Grid concepts, economic dispatch, HVDC/FACTS, etc.
- Perform analytical work to define, meet or exceed customer entitlements.
- Participate in the development and identification of new technology, product and service opportunities.
- Effectively communicate results by preparing written reports and making presentations describing analyses performed, solutions developed, and value obtained.
- Connect the organization to the latest technology developments and trends.
- Demonstrate awareness of competing and disruptive technologies.
- Doctorate Degree in Electrical Engineering or related field with a minimum of 8 years of experience in electric power systems or Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering or related field with a minimum of 10 years of experience in electric power systems.
- Demonstrated power system engineering experience in at least three of the following:
- Power system impact of high penetration renewable energy systems with power electronics interfaces
- Network modeling
- Protection and stability
- Transmission or distribution system planning and optimization
- Impact of novel and intelligent devices on power systems (e.g. HVDC, FACTS, storage, electric vehicles, grid forming inverters etc.)
- Control and communication technologies
- Machine Learning applications for Power System
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals at the Master’s level for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening
- Because of the specific categories of data handled by GE Research and the structure of our work environment, we are unable to accommodate employment of persons while they are considered nationals of embargoed countries subject to restriction under the US Export Administration Regulations (EAR), 15 CFR Section 746 et seq. (currently North Korea, Syria, Iran, Cuba, and Sudan). Please note that citizens of embargoed countries who have either U.S. person” status under U.S. export control laws or subsequent citizenship from a non-embargoed country can be considered.
- Must be willing to work out of an office located in Niskayuna, NY
- Willingness to travel at a minimum of 2 weeks per year.
- Must be 18 years or older
- You must submit your application for employment on the careers page at www.gecareers.com to be considered.
- Experience with microgrid control
- Experience with power electronics based distributed generation and energy storage
- Experience with cybersecurity in power and energy application
- Project experience and publications as the lead author in virtual power plant modeling, simulation, optimization and control
- Extensive experience with distribution simulation software such as OpenDSS, GridLAB-D or cymdist
- Experience with implementation of control algorithms and analytics in control hardware or energy/distribution management systems in a field or lab hardware in the loop environment
- Experience in control theory with a focus on control algorithms for power or energy systems
- Experience with alternative energy and distributed generation, e.g. wind, PV, fuel cells, combined heat and power applications
- Familiarity with power systems analytical tools, such as SPSCAD/EMTP, PSLF, MAPS, DigiSILENT etc.
- Global mindset & customer focus
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, demonstrating humility and candor
- Self-motivated and ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Experience leading teams which includes setting up schedules, milestones, technical reviews, tracking funding etc.
- Ability to communicate effectively with senior leadership.
- Demonstrated ability to take an innovative idea from a concept to a product.
- Entrepreneurial inclination and Intellectual Property development mindset