Senior Engineer, Distributed Control Systems
ENERGY FOR WHAT’S AHEAD
Are you looking to make a difference in your career? We’re working on smarter grids, cleaner energy and tools to help people manage energy more efficiently.
About Information Technology
The role of IT goes beyond the traditional Information Technology “service provider.” Many of the innovative ideas and projects that shape the company’s future and move SCE forward are dependent on technology. IT employees are at the heart of these projects, collaborating, designing and executing technology solutions that are transforming our industry.
This position is responsible for both technical leadership and providing support & maintenance of the Distributed Control Systems (DCS) at generation sites across the entire SCE territory. The DCS Senior Engineer will serve as a senior staff expert and will be responsible for developing technology solutions in the area of process control systems and provide direction and/or supervision to other engineers. The DCS Senior Engineer conducts highly complex maintenance activities including major changes to, rewrites, and new development of system logic, patching, and configuration changes. On the support side, the DCS Senior Engineer works on resolving very complex system incidents and events leveraging extensive experience with control theory and plant operations. The DCS Senior Engineer is also responsible for setting the technical direction and developing the strategic roadmap for the DCS systems in conjunction withIT architecture and senior leadership within IT and PPD.
A DCS allows a clear and concise real-time view of plant operations – including diagnostics, trends, alarms and status – to be displayed at remote workstations typically located at each of the powerhouses for site operator use, and at the Control Center for 24-hour control of the entire system from a single, central location. A typical system consists of several application and database servers as well as networking equipment, controllers / Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs), Remote Intelligent Gateways (RIGs), a Historian server, and in some cases, an Enterprise Data Server (EDS).
Provides technical thought leadership when working with other IT teams and partners. Works with business and IT senior leadership to establish projects to support related PPD and IT goals. Represents PSC Generation in project prioritization, planning, and design.
This position is also expected to provide mentoring and guidance to other DCS engineers. Through breadth and depth of technical knowledge, provides control system and plant operations subject matter expertise throughout PSC Generation’s area of responsibility.
This position is responsible ongoing maintenance of the Distributed Control System which includes: vendor-recommended maintenance activities, assessment and patching of the control system devices, large and/or complex enhancements/modifications, and system administration functions.
This position is responsible for monitoring, operating, and providing technical support for the DCS system which typically requires 24/7 uptime operation. This support includes troubleshooting highly complex technical issues, determining the methods for monitoring health and status of the system, assists operations personnel and IT teams with troubleshooting and advises on course of actions/approaches to resolve equipment issues in a timely and proactive manner.
Compliance / Security
Understands and follows all NERC CIP and SCE Cybersecurityprocesses / procedures to ensure compliance with applicable policies. In cooperation with PSC Security and Compliance, develops new processes and procedures address changes to the policies or any existing deficiencies. Capable of determining correct procedural steps to meet the policies even when performing non-standard or completely new work.
Client Requirements / Analyst
Knowledgeable about plant equipment and operations and applies such understanding in requirements discussions with clients. For regulatory issues affecting PPD, consults with the clients and vendors to implement control modifications to meet new regulations, energy goals, water management plans, etc. Able to differentiate between functional enhancements and defects. Identifies areas where requirements require further elaboration.
Embedded Software Development
Design and development of highly complex logic (software code) changes to the DCS controllers and Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs) to support new functionality or defect resolution in the system.
- Bachelor Degree in Engineering or scientific/technical field.
- Twelve (12) or more years of engineering experience.
- Experience as a technical lead overseeing a cross-functional project team or work group.
- Eight (8) or more years of experience in DCS / SCADA / Process Control Systems.
- Two (2) or more years of experienceworking with power plants and/or wastewater treatment plants.
- PLC programming experience (Allen-Bradley, GE, Opto-22, Rockwell Automation).
- Advanced knowledge and extensive skills in Instrumentation and Control technologies.
- Broad knowledge of maintenance practices, regulatory requirements and operational conditions and constraints.
- Strong analytical skills to troubleshoot complex problems related to real-time systems and perform root cause analysis. This would include: understanding architecture for systems that have high availability and resiliency, knowledge of IT network communication protocols and equipment.
- Experience integrating new systems and processes into a control system environment utilizing change management process.
- Networking knowledge including TCP/IP, routing, switching, 900mHz Ethernet radios. Control system communications protocol knowledge including ModBus, DNP3, ICCP.
- Professional Engineering (PE) License.
- Direct experience in DCS SCADA: Emerson Ovation Systems, Rockwell Automation and/or GE Proficy control systems.
- Experience with Emerson OSC, Industrial Defender, and other control systems security offerings.
- Experience in large scale implementations of Utility DCS and SCADA Systems for generation plants or Process Control systems.
- Familiarity with emissions monitoring systems and AQMD requirements.
- Knowledge or experience of NERC/CIP, NERC reliability requirements, and WECC standards.
- Fundamental understanding of fiber transport and microwave/wireless technologies.
- Candidates for this position must be legally authorized to work directly as employees for any employer in the United States without visa sponsorship.
- The primary work location for this position is (Mountainview, CA)
- Position will require up to 10% traveling and being out in the field throughout the SCE service territory.
- Relocation does not apply to this position.
- This position has been identified as a NERC/CIP impacted position - Prior to being hired, the successful candidate must pass a Personnel Risk Assessment (PRA) or Background Investigation. Once hired, the candidate must complete specified training prior to gaining un-escorted access to assigned work location and performing necessary job duties.