What You’ll Do:
- Thermal design and analysis of spacecraft and/or precision aerospace electro-mechanical, and/or opto-mechanical flight hardware systems, cryo systems, antenna communication systems, tactical video systems, components and/or ground support equipment from concept through detail design.
- Computation of heat transfer coefficients, temperature and heat flow calculations; steady state and transient.
- Responsible for creating effective plans, doing cost estimating, and managing efforts of the thermal design team.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering, with emphasis in Fluids and Heat Transfer, plus 8 or more years of related experience is required. Advanced degree is preferred.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master's Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- A current Top Secret clearance with a current favorable Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) is preferred.
- Ability to work effectively with customer counterparts.
- Working knowledge of thermal, radiation, and convection software.
- Advance thermal math modeling using Thermal Desktop, TSS, ANSYS Mechanical, CFD, TAK2000, SINDA, and IDEAS/TMG software tools is a plus.
- Working knowledge and experience using the CAD software Solid Works.
- Experience in spacecraft and/or precision aerospace electro-mechanical, and/or opto-mechanical flight hardware systems, cryo systems, cryocoolers, cryoradiators, antenna communication systems, tactical video systems, components and/or ground support equipment thermal design.
- Demonstrated creativity in cryo-thermal engineering design and analysis.
- Demonstrated successful lead/supervisory experience of cryo-thermal engineering activities.
- Prior participation in written and/or oral proposal activities for NASA and DoD programs.
- Strong verbal and written skills.
- Able to work in a fast paced, team environment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful applicant for this position must be eligible to obtain a DoD clearance. A current DoD clearance is not required to be eligible for this position, however the successful applicant will be required to obtain a DoD clearance within a reasonable time after the offer is extended and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance. * US Citizenship is Required