Senior Engineer / Architect
Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates (WJE) is a global firm of engineers, architects, and materials scientists committed to helping solve, repair, and avoid problems in the built world. Since 1956, our appliedexperience from more than 125,000 projects and our state-of-the-art laboratory and testing facilities have made WJE a leader in providing innovative yet practical solutions to the clients we serve.
The South Florida office of WJE located in Boca Raton is seeking an experienced engineer/architect with strong leadership qualities, project management experience, and technical expertise. Ideal candidates are well-rounded professionals with strong expertise in one or more of the primary practice areas of WJE, capable of developing their own client base, leading project teams, and tackling complex technical assignments. Applicants should be active in industry organizations, experienced in leading and mentoring project and administrative staff, and willing to develop, support, and lead office strategic initiatives.
- Degreed in a related field with ten or more years of relevant experience and expertise in one or more of WJE’s primary practices
- Licensed appropriately for area of expertise
- Strong regional experience and established clients in the Florida and southeast US markets
- An interest in solving problems with new and existing structures
- Experience managing a range of projects from small to large
- Active in professional organizations
- Strong technical, written, and verbal communication skills
- Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred
- Strong computer skills including CAD and Microsoft Office
- Ability to work in the field and to travel outside local area, depending on work load and project locations
- Provides support as the primary client contact for projects
- Builds client relationships and attracts new and repeat business
- Assembles and manages appropriate project team based on needs analysis and negotiates for available resources
- Mentors project and administrative staff
- Prepares drawings, specifications, and final project deliverables
- Conducts on-site inspections/investigations, including survey and documentation of distress, field testing, sampling, photographing, sketching, and reporting
- Serve as expert witness for forensic projects
- Participates in professional organizations, authors papers, attends conferences, and performs work on technical committees
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This position requires visual acuity and listening ability. Individuals must have the dexterity to be able to operate office and field equipment such as computer, printer, fax, copier, telephone, voice mail system, and other office and field equipment. Requirements may also include:
- Ability to attend meetings at various office, field and construction sites
- Ability to perform inspections of buildings and other structures, both visually and with instruments
- Ability to lift and carry materials and equipment up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to perform work in the temperature extremes presented by work in the outdoors
- Ability to read construction drawings, diagrams, printed materials and computer screens
- Ability to record data clearly and write passages for reports, letters, etc.
- Ability to travel
- Ability to safely work at heights
- Ability to safely use and/or operate ladders, scaffolds, lifts and other access equipment
- Ability to understand and appreciate safety training specific to numerous workplace and construction hazards
- Ability to safely work in a variety of occupationally hazardous locations
- Medically fit to utilize respiratory protection devices and other forms of Personal Protective Equipment
- Ability to drive and safely operate a motor vehicle
WJE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We invite all qualified applicants to apply including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans (VEVRAA federal contractor).
WJE will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Fair Chance Ordinances.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
Leader:Inspires teammates to follow them
Enthusiastic:Shows intense and eager enjoyment and interest
Dedicated:Devoted to a task or purpose with loyalty or integrity
Ability to Make an Impact:Inspired to perform well by the ability to contribute to the success of a project or the organization
Goal Completion:Inspired to perform well by the completion of tasks
Self-Starter:Inspired to perform without outside help
Masters or better in Architectural Engineering.
Masters or better in Structural Engineering.
10 years:Related work experience
Licenses & Certifications