Primary Role: As a senior staff professional within the American Water Military Services Group Engineering function, this position is responsible for the development and management of engineering projects or assignments in the field of water resources management. This includes all aspects of public water supply systems and wastewater collection & treatment systems including asset management, capital planning, engineering design, project and construction management, business development, and issues relating to operations & maintenance. Projects or assignments fall within the following general categories:
1. Asset/Capital Planning - water/wastewater system planning and analysis in order to recommend projects or other approaches to address system needs. Develop and administer capital budgets (detailed annual plan & 5 year forecast) including selection and prioritization of projects or programs that best meet identified needs. System analysis efforts range from hydraulic modeling and capacity determinations/recommendations to topic specific or comprehensive system master planning in any or all of the following areas: source of supply, treatment, residuals handling, storage, pumping, water distribution, wastewater collection, automation & controls, regionalization, regulatory compliance, operational reliability and efficiency.
2. Project Delivery - Managing all activities concerned with the delivery of multiple capital investment projects from inception to completion. This includes project budgeting and administration within an established capital investment management process, management or self performance of project delivery tasks including preliminary engineering, detailed design, permitting, procurement, construction management, field inspection, testing, turnover and project closeout.
3. Technical Services – Developing and implementing technical standards applicable to the asset base of American Water. Serve as a technical expert and resource in area of engineering discipline. Support project delivery efforts through interpreting and determining asset & operational requirements, organizing and executing detailed engineering design tasks, administering project specific permitting tasks, providing technical support and operator training during construction & commissioning. Assignments include self performed design and engineering analysis tasks & management of external consulting engineers performing similar tasks.
4. Operations & Maintenance Support - Engineering studies and/or troubleshooting related to water/wastewater operations and maintenance concerns, project or program management for maintenance of engineered assets (storage tanks, reservoirs, dams, etc.) or event management support related to unplanned occurrences (droughts, storms, floods, power outage, asset failures, etc.).
5. Business Development – Working as part of a business development team, assist in the pursuit of new business and growth opportunities. Tasks include performing due diligence, preparation of technical and cost proposals, and execution of engineering services for successful proposals.
- Completion of projects or assignments in accordance with sound engineering principals & practice, American Water Policies, Procedures, Guidelines or Standards, and sound industry practice.
- Development of detailed project scope, budget and schedule. Project management, execution, monitoring and reporting in accordance with the established scope, budget and schedule.
- Comprehensive interaction and communication with internal and external project stakeholders throughout the project lifecycle to insure that the end solution and delivery method addresses their needs. Employ a teaming & consensus building approach and a proactive issue identification and resolution process to improve project delivery performance and the success of the end result.
- Professional management and contract administration of third party providers of services and goods including engineering & environmental consultants, surveyors, constructioncontractors, material and equipment vendors, materials testing and inspection firms, etc.
- Within established area of expertise, for assigned projects, or other matters of strategic interest, serve as a technical advisor and representative of the Company in meetings, workshops, conferences, negotiations, environmental agencies, State or local permitting agencies, professional or industry organizations or special interest groups.
- Pursue educational and professional development to enhance knowledge, performance and contributions to the organization.
- Ability to work multiple projects or assignments with minimum direction.
- Effective management skills (e.g. planning, organizing, coordinating individual staff and teams).
- Verbal and written communications skills (e.g. presentation, report writing, listening).
- Interpersonal skills (e.g. tact/diplomacy, persuasion, cooperation, ability to motivate others).
- Strong Quantitative, analytical and financial skills; attention to details.
- Leadership presence (e.g. ability to deal effectively and maintain cooperation working relationships with senior management and other key stakeholders)
- Knowledge of engineering theory and practice related to planning, design, construction and operation of water/waster facilities, project management, water resources, engineering economics and utility operations.
- Knowledge of engineering or constructioncontract administration and project delivery approaches related to water/wastewater facilities.
- Knowledge of US regulations (environmental), legislation, new technology and current trends impacting the water industry.
- Sound business acumen and judgment. Knowledge of company procedures, policies and operations.
- Engineering experience in water and wastewater industry. 7 to 10 years minimum experience.
- Bachelors Degree in Civil, Environmental or Mechanical or related field. Masters degree or advanced study in field of specialty preferred.
Licenses & Certifications: Professional Engineer (PE) License desired
Work Environment: 85% office and 15% field.
Travel Requirements: 15%.